I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

To turn or not to turn that is the question.
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bos-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: September 06, 2010 07:27PM

I would like to turn my own grips but the price of a mini lathe or a Pac Bay wrapper set up for turning would buy a lot of pre shaped grips. So, that my dilemma what to do? Most of the pre formed grips that I have bought have not been of the best quality. I spent around $30 for the fly rod grips. I don't make that many rods but it would be fun to make a rod with grips that I have turned myself. Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To turn or not to turn that is the question.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2010 07:39PM

Bill,
If you want to turn your own grips for very little money, simply mount a variable speed drill in a horizontal position.

Put a mandrel into the drill. Mount a mandral support at the end of the mandral.

Thread a handle onto the mandral that you have glued up and want to turn. Enjoy.

This is a picture of an inexpensive handle turning device that I obtained from some one else some time ago.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Roger

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 06, 2010 07:40PM

Turning grips is NOT a cost-savings, by any means. In respect to quality, you can actually purchase better natural grips than you can build - at least at prices most can afford. Really nice CG1 rings are going for $3.00 plus ... meaning a 7" CG1 flygrip will run $42.00 plus freight and expenses (glue, sandpaper, etc.).

IF you will have plenty of fun doing it, save up and buy yourself the necessary tools. Do bear in mind that the lathe is generally LESS than 1/2 the total expense to turn grips.

Jim -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2010 07:41PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2010 07:45PM

p.s.
You don't have to buy a new lathe.
Check out the @#$%& sites, check out your local pawn shops, used tool shops, check craigs list, check your local newspaper for Lathes.

You can often find a lathe that will work very very well for rod building for very little money.

---------------
Another good source for making your own lathe is a simple used fractional hp motor. Often you see old dryers or washing machines sitting on the curb to be picked up. Many times the motors in these appliances are just fine.
If your arbor adapter has 1/2X20 threads on the end, a standard 1/2 inch drill chuck will screw oln the arbor adapter very nicely.

Just bolt the motor down to a mounting surface, wire up the motor through a switch, put a chuck adapter on the end of the motor and screw on a common drill chuck. Then, place a mandral support down the board from the chuck and you are ready to go.

For rod handle turning in general, you really don't need a tool rest or anything more fancy. A tool rest is nice, if your handle is very badly out of round, but its need can be reduced if you do your initial shaping with very stiff coarse sandpaper. The handheld stiff paper will tend to stablilze and round your rough handle glue ups.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: September 06, 2010 08:11PM

I have to agree that it is not a cost savings but it will be custom if you get one. I got one on the cheap side and spent more for tools and excessiers than i did on the lathe. I just Love doing turning grips and inserts. If you can get a lathe you should have a ball with it.

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 06, 2010 08:11PM

For me, turning allows me sizes and shapes that are not available commercially.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2010 08:33PM

All about different lengths, diameters, inlays (EVA, hypalon, wood, acrylic, cork, burl cork, checkerboards). And it isn't only about handle assemblies - reel seat inserts for one. Also as noted above it isn't necessary to purchase a brand new, ready-made lathe there are plenty of other options.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2010 09:53PM

look here
[www.rodbuilding.org]

or [www.adjustableclamp.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2010 09:55PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 07, 2010 09:53AM

Another one copied from the Flex Coat lath : [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2010 12:15PM

You can get a grizzly hobbly lathe for use with an electric drill for about $50. This setup comes with a live center for SS mandrels that the sponsors here sell.

If you're going to build enough grips, it's worth it. Plus, you can abandon the standard materials you've been accustomed to settling for and use materials that will outlast standard cork/eva and look and feel a helluva lot better.

Strong opinion here, but you might want to ask yourself first - if all you want to do is replicate what's already available, then why build at all?

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: September 07, 2010 06:40PM

Bill,
Sorry to chime in late here but, I had the same thoughts as you. Then I realised that I could not buy exactly what I wanted and was always compromising for "off the shelf" availability so therefore, the decision to buy a lathe was much easier. I also use it for polishing, squaring up etc. They have many uses other than just grip turning.
Take the plunge and get a lathe. It wil also bring out your creative side!!
Cheers
Çhris

Date: September 07, 2010 06:50PM

I needed some thing because of limited space and so I looked at a lot of different pieces of equipment. Mine is a wrapper, lath, and dryer. I just slide the components on to use it for what I need.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.dhcp-in.iupui.edu)
Date: September 10, 2010 09:45AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bill,
> If you want to turn your own grips for very little
> money, simply mount a variable speed drill in a
> horizontal position.
>
> Put a mandrel into the drill. Mount a mandral
> support at the end of the mandral.
>
> Thread a handle onto the mandral that you have
> glued up and want to turn. Enjoy.
>
> This is a picture of an inexpensive handle turning
> device that I obtained from some one else some
> time ago.
>
>
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> /photo/9330/title/crude-portable-lathe/cat/508
>
> Roger

Ditto .... I built 50 to 60 rods with the "drill system" for my handles. I would still use it except I now have 2 lathes, a ShopSmith & a mini.

I am in the process of building a hand wrapper, about 1/2 way done, just have to screw it up ( I guess I should have said "screw it together") lol....
I will be making a dryer box next, then I will make a Power Wrapper, I have an old sewing machine sitting in the " to the dump pile" so there is the motor for the wrapper.

Good luck Bill. If you want to turn your own handles try the drill first, If you don't like it then you will know at little to no cost.
Like others said check Pawn shops or the local Craigs List (am I allowed to say that?)
If you know a woodworker that has a lathe might be able to try his lathe, or barter a rod for the use of his lathe, or even barter Rod for Lathe....
I will warn you Turning on a lathe is just as addictive as building rods.....

--------------------------------

tom in indy

Date: September 10, 2010 11:00AM

take a look at the photo page under Equipment and tools. There are a lot of home made that can give you ideas.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster