I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MINIMA reel seat questions
Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 11:47AM

I am putting together an order for supplies to start building again.
I will be making 7 1/2 foot, one piece, med light spinning, Will be using it primarily for Walleye.
I am planning on split handle and am considering using the PacBay Minima 2 piece reel seat shown in the link below.
I was wondering if anyone has done any of these, and if so are they more difficult than a "normal" reel seat? I realize that you have to get the 2 parts aligned just do not know if it is more dificult, "worth the pain" to use them. I thought the added sensitivity might be a good thing.

[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

Also what books/dvd's would be good to learn to do Weaving. I am planning on getting the Dale Clemens "Custom Thread Art Book". I have access to the "Advanced Custom Rod Building Book"

thanks

--------------------------------

tom in indy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MINIMA reel seat questions
Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 04, 2010 12:15PM

i use one smaller light spinning rod with the minima seat. i like it a lot. Be sure to use winding checks or epoxy ramps around the front threads/hoods.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 12:42PM

IMO I don't think there's a better DVD on weaving than Doc Ski's.

I've used the minima seats. Beyond alignment using the minima seats isn't really any harder than a normal reel seat

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 02:54PM

Tom,
If you are going to use the rod for your self, double check the ergonomics and "feel" of the minima reel seat - before you make the installation permenant.

Many folks love minima seats, and many folks hate minima seats.

Folks say that it saves weight. Perhaps. it does, but the real issue in building a rod, is not the absolute weight of a rod, but where - on the rod - is the weight located.

Often, a person adds weight to the butt section of a rod, to make the rod balance for their fishing style.

But, the important thing in a fishing rod is to have a rod that suits the user of the rod - all of the way from the feel of the handle, and reel seat, to the overall appearance of the rod, blank, guides, and wraps.

Just - check the feel of a minima reel seat on a rod with the reel that you want to use with it, before making a permenant installation.

----------
With respect to installing the minima seat - really no issue except to use an arbor if needed, space, and align the reel seat parts for perfect reel fit and feel.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 03:15PM

here is a seat that you should check out maybe get both and check the feel : [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 04:37PM

I agree wiht Bill.
The Aero Reel seats are becoming the preferred reel seat for reel seats for many of my clients.
I will show them rods built up with several different styles of seats and most of the rods that I have sold in the last 6 months have been built with the Aero seats, simply because the client prefers the feel of the finished reel seat - handle - with these products.

Also, these seats are very easy to install. Simply make up your rear grip to be a bit larger than the reel seat. Then, using the reel seat measurements, work the end of the handle down to fit perfectly on the inside of the seat. Then, shape the rest of the handle to match the feel that you want from the reel seat - handle. These reel seats also work very well with NO fore grip. No issues at all if you want a decorative fore grip in front, but really not needed with this seat.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 05:13PM

The main thing about them is that the - hump - fits the palm of the hand to be comfortable to fish.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 07:14PM

As already mentioned, some folks like the feel of the minima seat and some do not. I do not. I built on a minima seat and ended up making a "hump" for it so I could use the rod... [www.rodbuilding.org]

The Aero seats mentioned above are my personal favorite for the freshwater rods I use. I don't believe the small difference in weight would make any difference in the sensitivity considering it's located right in the palm where a change in weight would have the least effect.

Posted by: Ed Long (69.85.106.---)
Date: September 07, 2010 08:21AM

The i.d of the minima seat needs to be close to the o.d. of the blank . The end of the fixed hood piece that faces the reel is curved so that you can't hide a gap there with a winding check.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster