I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FishHawk Variegated Thread - anyone used without CP?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 08:06AM

So far the more I use this thread the more I like it! I picked up a bunch from Karen at Bingham, and it's really cool stuff, with color mixes ranging from classy and subtle, to bold and brassy.

But - has anyone tried this stuff without CP yet? Wondering how good the color retention is.

Thanks,

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FishHawk Variegated Thread - anyone used without CP?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 10:11AM

Best over a light colored underwrap or metallic thread (or white rod blank) - like all but NCP thread it will go transparent without CP

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 11:48AM

If you have the thread trhere why are you asking this question? Take 10 minutes and wrap and finish yourself and you'll know for sure,

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 01:00PM

Ken, Dont you mean Nylon thread?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 01:40PM

Billy's more direct response is better. The ONLY thread I've found that does not darken / show the blank underneath is NCP or metallic. All the various manufacturers' rayon, polyester, nylon,silk that I've tried (FishHawk, Madiera, National, Gudebrod, Robison-Anton, Y LI, Krenik, Superior, ProWrap, Rice and prolly some others along the way) become transparent & require CP or underwrap or both to maintain close to off -the spool color. To test you only need to put one part of a two part epoxy thread finish on a short wrap of thread. No need to apply both - much easier to wipe off

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 01:47PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 02:50PM

I have done test wraps with the 4 colors I have (Thunder, Ocean, Forest & Burgundy). While they do darken, they don't darken to the same extent as regular nylon thread. The biggest difference when using without CP, is the amount of bubbles it releases. I would liken it to metallic thread for the number of bubbles it produces.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 03:18PM

A thinner finish will penetrate more and should get rid of the bubbles

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: September 04, 2010 05:03PM

I want to think I read that this thread requires CP and is similar to Madiera. Not a nylon. ???

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 05:17PM

With CP the thread will keep it's look

Try it on a piece of scrap blank It is not that hard to do , and you will know how you like it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 10:50PM

I have finished several colors without cp and found them to darken a few shades. The thread is a 2 ply polyester thats not lubricated. I have only finished a few of the darker colors that really turned out nice, I used Threadmaster high build and also finished some with Lumiseal. My suggestion is to try the colors you have with the finish you like and see if you like the results.

Mike Thompson
Thompson's Custom Rods

It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so ingenious!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster