I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split Grip Question
Posted by: Joe Robbins (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 01, 2010 02:12PM

I have been wondering about the distance to use between the butt cap and grip on a build I am starting. The rod is 6 foot and I have been doing some geustimates on how to space them, any
input appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split Grip Question
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2010 02:24PM

Joe,

On a 6' rod, it is tough to execute a split grip that fills the hands and have any sizable gap. Personally on 5'6" to 6' rods, I want about 8" from the trigger or reel stem to the butt of the rod. I also like a rear grip of 2.5" to be able to fill the hand somewhat for two handed casting. On a casting rod, this only leaves about 1.25" with a rear grip that fills the hand. On a split Tennessee handle for a spinning rod, I get between 2" and 2.5". You can get more of a gap by trimming down grip sections, but you must consider how much you can stand to lose.

Split grips are a great way to save a bit of weight on the rod, but if the ergonomics are wrong, it can be uncomfortable to fish. If you let the ergonomics of the butt section dictate how much space you leave, you will end up with a handle that feels good, looks good, and fishes good.

Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 01, 2010 02:25PM

You could go as fare as to tap the seat on and some guides - go out side an play cast and see where the seat seems - To You - feel the best then you can make your split grip from there

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2010 02:37PM

Joe, I am working on a 7 foot casting popping rod. The butt piece including the cap is 2 3/4 inches long. The grip behind the reel seat is 3 3/8 inches long. That is how wide my palm is and I didn't want it resting on the bare blank. The overall length of the rear grip is 10 inches which is what I like on my popping rods. That leaves me an empty space of 3 3/8 inches. The rod balances out very well with a Shimano Curado reel. On a 6 foot casting rod I would probably go with an 8 inch rear grip. I put a photo of my rod in the photo section a couple of days ago. Check it out and it wil give you an idea of what my rod grip looks like. You could even make the butt piece smaller to give you more space between the pieces. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: September 01, 2010 02:40PM

Personally I wouldn't look at the distance you want to make. I would look at where you want position the reel and then you can see what's left to work with.

Why the position of the reel - I would be concerned about the working length of the rod. Part two of that is does the remaining handle length match to the amount you need for the given technique?

What are you going to be doing with the rod?

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 02:42PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 01, 2010 02:46PM

Alex Dziengielewski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Personally I wouldn't look at the distance you
> want to make. I would look at where you want
> position the reel and then you can see what's left
> to work with.

YEP ... that's the idea I run with on ANY length of rod. For the record, the little 5'10" skipping rod that I use for pulling bass from under docks has a split grip with an open space of 5". Of course, that distance was determined by reel position and the length of each cork section of the split butt.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2010 02:54PM

Joe,

The most important thing about the split grip is feel. The rear grip just behind the actual reel seat should be comfortable in your hand. Once that is accomplished the distance between the first section of the butt grip and the actual end cap section of the rear grip is your call. Rod balance and aesthetics need to also betaken into carefull consideration. How the rod looks is important after all.

Tight lines,

JH

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2010 03:07PM

One thing to keep in mind, is whether this is a spinning or casting rod. Grips behind the reel seat can be shortened on spinning rods, since you are mainly holding the reel seat instead of just the grip behind the seat.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Joe Robbins (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 01, 2010 03:22PM

I forgot to mention that it was a spinning rod. I am making this as a surprise for one of my nephews, his hands are nowhere close to the size of mine so I will be winging it. To top this off it's my first build, I got the cork work done, was easy enough I used a round rasp in a cordless drill them used 3 drill bits by hand to finish it out. I'm sure that is not the way to do it, ( no taper) but after all this is my first go around and it's all about learning. I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my method other than the taper factor if that is even an issue.

Thanks, all input appreciated.

Joe

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 01, 2010 03:45PM

When I'm building a rod for someone or myself, I have them hold the blank in their hand, where the butt rests against the forearm and where the hand is placed on the blank will tell you where the reelseat should go.... omho?
Works for me.
Jeff

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: September 02, 2010 08:56AM

The important thing about a spinning rod is how the customer holds the rod relative to the reel stem, 4 fingers in front, 3 fingers in front, spilt 2 in front 2 behind, 3 fingers behind, 4 fingers behind. All of these are possibilities and if they use any of the exaggerated grips with 3 or 4 fingers on one side of the reel make the grip longer on that end. If the customer holds the rod with 2 in front and 2 behind there is no reason to have more than a single ½ inch ring on each side of the reel seat, and I haven’t built any spinning rod where I see the need for more than 3 rings on either side depending on which end of the grip he uses. Since this sounds like a pretty light rod 2 inches for a butt grip would probably be plenty.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 12, 2010 08:58PM

I would be careful locating a reel by having a person hold the blank and putting the reel seat where the hand is holding the blank when the butt hits the biceps, if that is what is suggested. You have to make sure the finished butt will clear the clothing over the arm when the rod is used. Shirt? Raincoat? Insulated coat? If building for the south it's not as big an issue, but you should understand what you will have for the person intended, with the clothing they are likely to be wearing. If not, the butt can get hung up on the clothing. Like the one I did a few years ago, then went back and cut off an inch which made all the difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster