I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help on a blank
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: August 30, 2010 11:44PM

I have a guy who had some old Charlie Brewer spinning rods and he would like me to build him a few. He said the ones that he had were in the range of 4" 6" - 4' 9". I need someone who knows something about these rods to give me alittle idea on what blanks I should look at.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help on a blank
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 12:06AM

Slider rods. He had a complete system of rods and mini worms and grubs with special leadhead hooks that are so much similar to the shakey head hooks available now. I had a couple of them back in the early eighties. They used Tennessee handles and were great for throwing those 4'' slider worms and 2'' grubs. I sure wish I could help you out on those. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for something similar.

I had completely forgotten about those rods until your post. Brought back lots of memories of places I used to fish.

Lance

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2010 08:30AM

I knew Charlie. His system involved the deadly slider worms and grubs and he advised fishing them on very short rods - 4-1/2 feet was the norm I think. After a few years he began having some made and sold them along with the slider stuff.

I'm pretty sure his family has carried on the business and you might be able to obtain his original book on the system, which included specs on the rod, here: [www.fishingworld.com]

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 08:45AM

If you can find one we will put it on the Duplicator Board, use an existing or graphite or S Glass blank and attempt to match up action and power.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.wpa3.kent.edu)
Date: August 31, 2010 09:11AM

[www.fishingworld.com]

It appears for a modest investment, you may be able to find something to put on the duplicator board. I don't know if they are still to Charlie's original specs, but it appears they are still available.

Joe

Edit: Sorry Tom, I missed the link in your post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 10:12AM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2010 10:09AM

I've persoanlly known the folks at Charlie Brewer Slider Co. since I was a kid. Mr. Charlie Brewer started the company and after his passing, his son Charles Jr. and his wife Linda carried on the business. Many, many years ago, I built their rods for them. Later they decided to build them in-house. They first started out with fiberglass blanks and then later moved to graphite. The blanks were made special for the Slider Co., when we had the buiness of building their rods. It is like a 1 power blank. Finding something that short will be a problem. A St. Croix model 2S56LF trimmed to length or a blank by North Fork, model SJ542 trimmed. If he is wanting the original glass models, that will be darn hard to duplicate. Those days sure do bring back the memories!!

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 10:54AM

From Charlie's book, "... I use and prefer the shorter rods, four foot three and the five foot. The rods are extra , extra light and have a very good backbone........equipped with large guides... the famous Tennessee Handle..." The pictures of him landing Bass that appear to be in the three pound range have the rod bending slightly in the upper third. From other entries, it would seem the rod is a moderately fast one as well. I don't know if any of this will help build a rod to satisfy your friend, but there it is just the same. His soon is still running the company if I recall correctly. The lures are still in production with new additions every so often. I have some and they are well made and fish well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster