I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Product evaluation American Tackle ProWrap thread
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 11:26AM

Along with the ALPS chuck I also received a shipment of American Tackle ProWrap thread in Size A. GOOD stuff. The thread has a nice sheen. It is slightly thinner than Gudebrod Size A and definitely thinner than National Rod thread size A nylon but with approximately the same breaking strength as the Gudebrod. Understand that I do not have the capability to do finite measurements on "how thin is thin or how strong is strong" these are 'by sight/by pull". The multistrand weave looks very much like Gudebrod nylon. It ran through my sewing machine type tensioner smoothly at the highest speed I could manage. Last night I did several test wraps with and without color preserver. Color retention is very good and absorbtion into the thread is excellent. For those that use CP - as do all threads - it darkens one shade (335 becomes 337). For those who do not use CP there is no coating on the thread (epoxy seeps in well). Wraps done over silver / gold underwraps are (to my eye) a very little bit brighter - probably related to the thickness/density of the thread. Color consistent beginning to end and there were no splices/frays throughout the spool. Yes, I did sacrifice a 100 yard spool end to end (pulled it off by hand. Overall I think this is every bit as good as Gudebrod. Notice I am not comparing to Madiera or other poly threads as they are "different animals" nor to FishHawk as I don't have much of that to do a decent comparison. I did not order any of the metallic nor NCP as I have plenty of that to last me so I can't speak to this thread vs others' NCP or metallics.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Product evaluation American Tackle ProWrap thread
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 11:52AM

I also received some samples from am tac a couple of weeks ago, but to date I have not had a chance to try any sample wraps.
It appears to be great quality and very consistent. Nicely wrapped on the spool unlike Pac bay's criss/cross pattern which I absolutely despise, despite being pretty decent thread.I think thread is going to be kinda like cars, some people have their personal preferences. I am really looking forward to trying this, maybe this weekend hopefully.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Allan Armacost (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 28, 2010 10:37PM

Any thoughts/concerns that you guys have found with this thread yet? Getting ready to put a big order in for it so it will be about a week before I have it in hand and can test it. Thanks.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2010 11:10AM

Yesterday I wrapped two rods using the AmTak ProWrap thread - as opposed to "test wraps" One with and one without CP. Both turned out well. The thread packed nicely off the tensioner and burnished well. Due to the diameter of the thread (slightly thinner than Gudebrod A) guide foot preparation is a MUST. Nothing that I normally do not do anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster