I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Guide sensitivity????
Posted by: Brandan Martin (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 11:04AM

A friend just asked me to build him a boat rod for live baiting and power reeling stripers and asked me to use micro guides to improve sensitivity. Is sensitivity a big advantage on micro guides in an application like this. I was under the assumption that casting distance was the big plus of micro guides. I don't see the logic in using them on a boat rod just dropping a live bait over the side. Am I wrong here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Guide sensitivity????
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 11:14AM

And less weight on the tip for better performance when casting all day.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 11:29AM

Sorry, I don't see any advantage in using micros for this application. In fact there may be a related disadvantage in that they will drive up the cost of the end product (more guides needed, more bench time wrapping)

Date: August 27, 2010 11:30AM

but is there an advantage to using them on a live bait boat rod, no casting involved?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2010 11:32AM

Any weight reduction tends to increase sensitivity. While "feel" sensitivity isn't all that important on a live bait rod, I doubt anyone would complain that their rod is too sensitive.

Micro guides don't necessarily improve casting distance. Using the proper sized guides will increase distance, of course, but the proper size may be a micro or it be something larger.

The bottom line hasn't changed - use the smallest and lightest guides that will pass your required connections and hold up over the long haul doing what you need the rod to do. Why use larger guides than necessary?

Date: August 27, 2010 11:35AM

Thanks for the information. A local tackle shop is telling my friend that the ring being closer to the blank makes it more sensitive. Any merit there?

Date: August 27, 2010 11:41AM

Just my opinion. Dropping a wiggling spot or menhaden over the side of a boat to stripers and most likely marauding bluefish is not a "sensitivity game". This is related to the way these fish feed / take bait. Bluefish slam the bait - usually taking only the tail leaving the head in place on the hook - hence tail hooks are a good idea. Stripers pick up the bait, swim rather leasurely a short distance, then turn the bait so it is head first to swallow. This is also one reason that fewer stripers are caught on white perch (those nasty spines pop up when they are threatened) If you pick up the rod too soon you will not hook the fish. Charter captains here advise putting the rod in a rod holder (not your hand) - watch the rod tip, watch the line tighten and don't set the hook until the second run.

Date: August 27, 2010 11:43AM

IMO no

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 27, 2010 11:46AM

Of course there is "the customer asked" - so you should probably do as he wants or talk it over with him

Date: August 27, 2010 11:49AM

On Lake Lanier for Striper, we often drop a bait below a school of fish and slowly reel the bait through the school. This method gets a lot of strikes from fish that don't touch a live bait swimming next to them. This method is what the guy wants with micro guides. You get a first tap and you need to stop power reeling at this point.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2010 11:50AM

The bait shop owner is likely repeating something he's heard. He's mistaken but probably only trying to be helpful.

Date: August 27, 2010 11:51AM

But will they hold up. people have built them and I have not herd of any failures ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 27, 2010 11:54AM

Ok - Now I understand better the technique involved then go with the micros. Stopping at that first tap is letting stripers take that second hit & then hooking them. Here (Chesapeake Bay) the game "find a good hump'' rising up from deeper water and letting the bait swim free - no weight other than the fish (which you can actually see react when predators are in the area)

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 11:59AM

On a theoretical level, the ring being closer to the blank might translate to additional sensitivity, because there is less frame between the ring and the guide foot. On a practical level, I don't think you would ever notice a difference.

Date: August 27, 2010 12:43PM

I think of it for casting. Ring close to the blank more guides needed, line tends to rub the blank causing friction and slows the line shorter casts.

I like the line a little away from the blank less guides less line rubbing the blank less friction better casts

6 of one 1/2 dozen another

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: August 28, 2010 05:24PM

The tackle shop guy has the effect right, micro guides = better sensitivity. He just has the cause wrong, the reason that the micro guide is better for sensitivity is the reduced weight, the lower ring is only very indirectly important since the lower guide is the lighter guide.

When I fished for stripers on Lanier almost everybody used fiberglass rods, if you are using fiberglass blanks you are already giving up the single biggest increase in sensitivity available which is a graphite blank. For what you are doing a high modulus graphite blank isn’t for everyone, I suspect they wouldn’t last long on a guides boat constantly being highsticked by customers who don’t know any better. For someone who knows how to use his equipment I suspect that they could use some graphite blanks quite successfully. I haven’t tried it but I would bet that some of the longer and stronger crank bait or popping blanks cold work very well, they have a quite moderate action to keep fish from coming loose during last second lunges, and most of them are small diameter thick wall designs for durability, while still having a huge stiffness to weight ratio advantage over fiberglass which is what gives you the sensitivity.

Date: August 28, 2010 05:51PM

On a boat rod you may be better with a glass or even a blend blank A little more flex for the people that - high stick - there rods.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.pppoe-dynamic.High-Speed.ns.bellaliant.net)
Date: September 01, 2010 05:16PM

I see you have never cast a micro guided rod. So until you do I think that the idea that the cast will be shorter should be left in your mind and not posted here. There are a lot of people that build using micros and would be willing to argue that the cast is in no way affected by the micro guide.There is an advantage to the sensitivity by the use of the micro guides due to the weight reduction as you have mentioned.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: September 08, 2010 11:11PM

Mr. Beenen, none of your comments have anything to do with my post. I find your reaction to my post, strange at best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster