I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best expoy/wrapping finish?
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.tribune.com)
Date: January 08, 2003 06:41PM

After much research, I'm ready to begin building my own custom graphite fly rods. I would appreciate any input as to which bonding agents and finishes give you veteran rod builders the best results and are the easiest to use? 1)Generally epoxy for reel seats, cork grips, tip tops? Does the Flex Coat Thermal Plastic stick for tip tops work better than a good two part epoxy for attaching a tip? 2) For finishing wrappings, Flex Coat High Build or Dura Gloss LS Supreme? 3) Flex Coat Color and Thread Preserver or some other brand? I hope to order these items within a couple of days. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best expoy/wrapping finish?
Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2003 07:31PM

They all seem to be good and all have their supporters. You really just have to try them all over a period of time to see which one you prefer. Rod Bond is maybe the best epoxy for mounting seats and grips as it does not run. Hardware store 5-minute epoxy is the best for tip tops. Glass Coat finish is best for thread wraps. I say best, but that's only for my own use. You may find other products you like better.

Posted by: Brian Patterson (---.coatsv01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2003 07:49PM

My adhesives and finishes;

-U40 Rod Bond for seats grips and anything that should be permanent.
-5 min epoxy for the tip so it can be removed if need be
-LS Supreme or Glass Coat for finish

Brian

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2003 11:23PM

The problem that I have had when using 5 minute epoxy for small tips such as 5 or 4.5 is the tip also melts when I apply heat to remove a damaged tip top. I have not had any problem when using Flex Coat tip top adhesive and I am talking about the clear yellow stick glue. You also have to be careful when heating a tip after being glued with epoxy, it comes off like a bullet.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.58.58.194.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: January 09, 2003 03:05PM

Peter, I've never had any problems with using the local hardware store's 2 ton epoxy (the clear stuff) for mounting reel seats and grips to blanks. If I am gluing cork rings together, I typically use flex coat rod builders epoxy glue (not the 5 min. stuff) applied sparsely. For tip tops I use the flex coat tip top adhesive so that any future need to remove will be easier and safer. I cut slivers from the stick and insert into tip top tube, heat, then install on a sanded tip. Never had one come loose to this day. I've recently tried dura gloss ls supreme for threads and like it better than flex coat or glass coat. It is much thinner, and will require one or two extra coats, but it gives much more time to apply to more threads and more time to level and remove bubbles than anything else I've used.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ym.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 09, 2003 05:17PM

Gudebrod 811 for the colour perserver.
Glass coat or LS sumpreme
Rod Bond

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.coos.k12.or.us)
Date: January 09, 2003 06:17PM

I'll be the contrarian...

1. Devcon Two-Ton epoxy (not the 5 minute stuff) for seats and grips.

2. That clear stick hot glue stuff for the tip top.

3. Min-Wax Helmsman Spar Urethane (gloss) for the wraps.

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster