I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

We just don't do that in Alaska???
Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 01:24AM

Watching the History channel- fellas catching allegators using chicken for bait on a line hanging into a swamp from a pole...... What kind of pole is that? A fishing pole? What is the pole? I have to say, I'd much rather deal with bears! Yikes!
All about what you know I guess!

Pesco Ergo Sum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 01:39AM by Bruce Robb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: We just don't do that in Alaska???
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 08:45AM

Saw some of that. Sheesh. We say "get the net", they yell "shoot it!".

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 09:05AM

Another program "Animal Extractors" has guys snagging 'gators using heavy surf rods & treble hooks, dragging them to the shoreline, hauling them out of the water & taping their mouths. They don't shoot them.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 09:18AM

It showed it's big head here about a year ago...

[rodbuilding.org]

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 25, 2010 09:56AM

Garrett asked about one recently. Being that we are both in Florida I looked into the matter a bit. I was a little surprised how it was done. Keep in mind different states have different rules.

Anyhow this is how it goes in florida. You spot a gator and cast a big treble hook across his back. You snag him and he dives to the bottom. Now he needs to rise eventually in order to breath. The key is to apply a constant somewhat light pressure. This lets the gator know he is in danger so he stays down until he no longer senses any. The goal is to drive him out of breath and nearly drown him. Once that is done you winch him up from the depths. In Florida the gator must be killed before he is placed in the boat. Pretty sure a bang stick is the weapon of choice.

I'm sure many other ways are used. Some might enjoy a greater degree of danger. I can say they are very good eating. Light flavored like chicken breast but more chewy like lobster.

They look dangerous but in reality are generally docile and slow moving. I've seen guys kick sunning gators out of they way. As always don't get between moma and babies or appear to be stealing anyone's meal. Crocidiles on the other hand are something to avoided at all costs (IMHO). They are rare here although I did see one swimming in the bay behind my hospital recently.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 10:23AM

Clyde is not slow!

Wait till you see the "Swampland Gator Tail Blanks" at High Point 2011!

Elite Cliff Crochet of Pierre Part, La is best of friends with the producer of the Gator Show referenced and uses prototypes of the Gator Tail Flip Stik.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Take care - these bite of these blanks is fatal!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 10:49AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 12:37PM

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 10:45PM

First of all Gator hunting is not done for sport it is done for money. Big bucks for gator meat. I believe in Florida it is a hefty fine if you feed Gators without taking it home . Wait till the animal lovers see that flick LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:18PM

Bob = in the situation above - yes. South Carolina and other states don't have a "for profit" season and all tags are claimed and almost all filled.

Keep in mind it costs $250 per foot for a rug mount... head mount $400...
[cordrays.com]

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:24PM

Sounds like a profit situation to me. What about the Gator raisers?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 10:39AM

Just like deer hunting it is done to cut the number of the animal because of over population and danger to people.

tastes like chicken - then again every thing tastes like chicken - Doooo

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2010 10:46AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster