I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Slower wrapping speed.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 01:21AM

For those folks who have power wrappers, and don't want to change their motors, but want a slower wrapping speed there is a simple answer.

Just add a jack shaft with a pair of large small pulleys.
If you want to really slow down the motors you can add a pair of jack shafts with large small pulleys.

Many power wrappers just use a single set of large small pulleys. i.e. a 1 inch pulley on the motor and a 4-6 inch pulley on the head stock of the lathe.

You get a speed reduction that is equal to the ratio of the pulley diameters. So, if you have a 1 inch pulley on the motor and a 6 inch pulley on the lathe you get a 6X speed reduction.

If your motor runs at 10,000 rpm, not unusual for some of the motors, you have a top speed of 1600 rpm which is much much faster than is needed for power wrapping.

But if you add a jack stand with another pair of 1 and 6 inch pulleys you will get a 2nd 6:1 speed reduction or a top speed of 267 rpm.

Finally, if you add a 2nd jack shaft with the same set of 1 and 6 inch pulleys, you will now have a top speed of 45 rpm.

A top speed of 45 rpm with a starting speed that is measured in fractions of 1 rpm - you would have a setup that would allow you to do any type fancy wrapping that you would like to have.

You can easily make any number of jack shafts by simply taking a piece of material of a reasonable thickness, boring an appropriate sized hole in each side to accommodate a ball bearing that will support a jack shaft.
Set up your material to take care of the necessary number of jack shafts and belt tighteners that you might need, and then mount the material between your motor and the head stock of your power wrapper.

If you want to go slow- modify - and go for it.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slower wrapping speed.
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 01:44AM

I'm too simple for all that. I got the one where you turn the knob to the left, it slows down... turn it to the right... it goes fast. It has this diagram of a line with a big end and a small end. Guess that is supposed to help.

Come to think of it.. my lawnmower has a lever that works the same way... but it uses pictures of a turtle and a rabbit.

Sometimes you're cheaper buying the one that's already made to do what you want than the spending time engineering.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2010 01:47AM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2010 03:13AM

i just tell my kids to peddle slower

Posted by: Ron Orga (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 05:52AM

What is a large small pulley?

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 06:59AM

It is the same as a Jumbo shrimp, only made out of a different material.

Well, i thought it was funny!

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: August 24, 2010 08:18AM

I just spit coffee! Thanks for the laugh guys!

Chuck

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 09:38AM

I wrap by hand. I've got 10 fingers so I figure that's 10 speeds. If I need to wrap any faster a dose of Black Sabbath cranked up extra loud and a couple of energy drinks will put me in warp drive.

Lance

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 24, 2010 09:52AM

The only problem with altering pulley size is that you increase the back effort required when you have to do anything by hand, i.e., undo a professional overwind, fix a gap, inlay a thread, etc.

But it's certainly one method for slowing the wrapping speed.

Posted by: Greg Vogel (---.135.80.14.montanasat.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 11:52AM

I actually us a router speed controller from Harbor Freight to slow down my power wrapper. Works well and have had no problems. It can be used adjustable or switched to full speed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster