I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another Marketing Claim
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: August 23, 2010 05:28PM

Just saw the TT review of the Megabass A. Martens rod - "One of the most unusual features of this rod is the eccentric first guide. It is mounted to the rod upside down putting the guide closer to the reel in order to aid in casting distance."

Okay, it's not actually on upside down, but they have the foot of the butt guide pointed towards the tip.

Good grief!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2010 05:29PM by Chuck Mills.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Marketing Claim
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 23, 2010 08:57PM

I believe the butt guide is on back wards and too close to the reel . Chuck, maybe that is a new custom builders trend. Or maybe I'm missing out on something.

Good Grief !!

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2010 10:14PM

That is awesome! They finally found a way to get a guide closer to the reel!

Jeez...

Someone will buy it though... shame.

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.hsd1.mo.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2010 10:24PM

This is so funny I noticed it on a bassmaster show and comment to my wife. We even did a frame by frame on the dvr to ensure what we saw. I questioned it also an reverted to thinking it was a two piece rod and they turned the guide upside down to wrap the guide and the ferrule with one wrap. Either that or they came up with a weird idea to make a sale.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: August 23, 2010 11:15PM

They have been doing that on some Japanese PE rods for a long time. It is just another way of marketing rods by differentiating them from the masses.

Posted by: Marco Antonio (---.cpe.vivax.com.br)
Date: August 24, 2010 12:32AM

Low Rider in the system is used in the same way!

Marco Antonio (São Paulo) ( Brasil)

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 09:24AM

I actually have a customer that request me to put his 1st guide on that way. He has seen the Japaneese rods I believe and is convinced the line dont slap the guide frame when casting. I have test casted each and cant find any measurable difference in the two. But it looks ok, and actually has him convinced it works better. The next spinning rod I build him Im going to put all the spinning guides on reversed and he will probably like that too.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2010 09:35AM

This concept (whether correct or not) has been around for a long time.
The thought process being that the strippr guide being backwards prevents the line from deflecting off of the guides frame as it spirals off the spool.
Eliminating the added friction caused by the line rubbing the frame which reduces casting distance, would then improve performance.

I have a rod in the shop that was built (judging by the components) some time in the 60 or 70's maybe earlier, that utilizes this concept. Based on its guide’s design in which the aft leg extends out pretty far, I could see where this would have been an advantage. But guide designs have changed quite a bit since them.

Here are three pictures of the rod in which it is easy to see that the thought process made sense with those guides. Sorry for the quality, taken with my cell phone.
It’s hard to tell from them, but the rear leg actually intrudes into the space of the 30mm’s guide’s circumference.
Effectively clipping off a portion of available ring space, which if not mounted backwards would cause a rubbing problem with line coming off the reel.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2010 09:54AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2010 11:04AM

Steve -- Those are what was called "Foulproof" guides. I first started building rods in the mid-70's and it was common procedure to turn the butt guide just as you have in the picture.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 11:35AM

Mike Thompson

Show him some pictures of the two guides together as the Microwave guide set up He may like it he could be your tester.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 24, 2010 10:40PM

duplicate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2010 10:52PM by Steve Johnson.

Date: August 24, 2010 10:51PM

To clarify... I didn't mean it's a shame if someone buys it. I meant it's a shame that most of them will have no idea exactly why. I don't think their marketing wording is very accurate. At least TT realized that it probably made no difference.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 12:45AM

Putting them on this way def. eliminates any contact with the frame, even if it is slight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster