I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sulky Holoshimmer Thread
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: August 22, 2010 05:28PM

Good afternoon all,
I was out at a fabric store "surfing" for thread and came across Sulky Holoshimmer thread. This not really a thread, but a thin flat piece of foil with incredible reflective properties. I estimate that it is about 1/16" wide. I came home with four spools, green, Blue Turquoise, and mother of pearl. I tried wrapping it on a piece of rod blank and found the best way to anchor it was to dab a tiny drop of CA glue. Once it set, I wrapped half inch wide piece and tied the end down with CA as well. I was able with the use of an optivisor to lay down the tape in a flat layer and packed them. I took the it out in the sun and it is nearly blinding.

Have any of you decorative wrap folks used this? Do you have any suggestions on how I can use this in a more efficient manner than i described? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mike Blomme

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sulky Holoshimmer Thread
Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: August 22, 2010 06:34PM

Michael
I have used Holographic including Sulky's as accents for guide wraps and inlay accents in butt wraps. It does take a little getting use to. Have to pack carefully.

I have started using it when I am tying several rods with the same thread color scheme. I will wrap a narrow band , maybe 2 or 3 mils of color thread to match the rest of the rod. ( have a pull tab under the band), insert the holo thread and make a 2 to 3 mil band then finish off with the original color thread.

On the next rod I would use a different color holo so the fisherman can take a quick look and pick up the rod he wishes to use.

I have about a dozen factory rods that are the same style and color. Lost a lot of time trying to find the rod I wanted. I'm bad to layout 8 or 10 on the front of my boat. I am slowly replacing the factory rods with my on builds.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2010 06:48PM

I have used it on diamond wraps as a center ``thread`` or on the outside of the wrap. Used with metallic thread, it adds a lot of bling.

You can also buy it from a lot, if not all of the dealers on the left which sell thread.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2010 07:53PM

I use it also. It looks great when doing a patriotic theme. There is a store 1 block from my house that sells it. They also sell Madeira. Sulky also makes a Rayon thread but I haven't tried to wrap with Rayon yet. Has anyone used a Rayon thread? I've seen it in Madeira and Sulky with some really nice colors, variegated and other styles.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 22, 2010 08:04PM

Great for everything except where you need strenght, dont use it to wrap a guide, it's fine for everything else.

DR

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: August 22, 2010 08:19PM

David,
You can use rayon for trims, but not for guide wraps. It is too weak. You also must use CP with rayon.
Mike Blomme

Date: August 22, 2010 09:02PM

Good to know, Thanks Mike. I might try some for decorative butt wraps. There are some awesome colors, and really vibrant, that I haven't seen in the thread I normally use.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 23, 2010 08:49AM

Personally, I wouldn't use rayon. It MAY swell up and get fuzzy. As far as colors go. Madeira Polyneon has about 350 vibrant colors and their are numerous other polyester or bylon threads available

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: August 23, 2010 09:39AM

Well, I think I'll go with the Polyneon then just to be safe. I was just looking at the colors in Polyneon. They are just about the same as their Rayon line. That stuff is really amazing.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: August 23, 2010 10:05PM

I use it for underwraps on guides as well as butt wraps. It takes some time to get it to stack correctly but once you get rolling with it, it goes on fine. It is especially nice to use because it really shines and shimmers in the sunlite!!!

Kevin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster