I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative wraps on power wrapper?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 05:33PM

This came up on a string below - but it was buried near the end of the thread

Re: New homemade wrapper
Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 18, 2010 06:54PM

I do all my decorative wraps using my power wrapper. After 30 some odd years of doing them by hand, I got tired of hand turning. Not only easier on the fingers, but it frees up another hand. Especially helpful when wrapping bands of thread. It took some getting used to, but I'd never go back. I thought everyone with power wrappers used it for decorative wraps? It would be interesting to see how many of the pros used them for the decorative work........

Questions are:
Who / how many people do decorative wraps "under power".
How intricate are the designs/patterns?
Are there any "tricks" to share on this?

I use my wrapper only for support and to prevent roll-back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative wraps on power wrapper?
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 20, 2010 05:50PM

Depends on the wrap. I use power for Tigers and tie off bands. Use it as a support for just about everything else. With most crosswraps I take the belt off and turn by hand.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 06:34PM

Dont wrap under power . Wrap dec by hand. A little too intricate for speed.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Scott Taylor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 07:39PM

I'm no pro but do use the power wrapper for all of my wrapping. Normally turn by hand or under power slowly. The tension provided by the motor (not under power) helps me a lot in keeping tension or from unwrapping.

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2010 07:55PM

Ditto. I use it for support only when doing dec wraps and turn it by hand, sometimes with the belt on to give a little tension, and sometimes with it off to make it spin easier. I don't step on the pedal unless it is on the tie-off wrap.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 08:07PM

Hay Ken

This is going to be interesting

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 11:34PM

Are

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 11:36PM by Michael Joyce.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 11:41PM

....you kidding me ? Calling out a rodbuilder
thats been doing this for 30 years?.......maybe he does things differently.....maybe his wrapper has a slow speed ideal for wrapping bands.......pretty angry about your post

Date: August 21, 2010 07:51AM

Michael -
I don' t understand why you are angry with my post I'm not "calling anyone out" - This is what he wrote "It would be interesting to see how many of the pros used them for the decorative work........ " HE asked & I too am interested.
I've been doing this since about 1974 - I've tried and can NOT use power for anything more than tie-offs and the very simplest of wraps even with the 8 spool Renzetti attachment. If there is a way to do this under power I'd like to know how it's done.

Ken

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2010 08:09AM

I once knew a guy that I considered a very good pro. He did Diamonds and Chevrons under power. He had what appeared to be a slow rotation motor, my guess between 6-12 rpms. and he had foot control. The work looked very good, he had it down.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2010 02:58PM

I agree with Kevin.
No reason not to use power for decorative wraps with the right power wrapper.

The reason that most wrappers don't use power wrappers is that they don't own a wrapper that can consistently turn 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2 or other very low rpms on a consistent basis.

If you swap out your power wrapper drive system with a drive system that will be able to consistently turn the rod at these ultra slow speeds, with excellent on, off, and and reverese as well as variable speed, I expect that many more folks would use power wrapping.

But, if you own a wrapper that can only wrap at speeds of 3-5 rpm at the low end and with no reverse, it will be less useful.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 21, 2010 10:44PM

Ken, no worries, no offense taken. I was glad to see it brought up. I'm really suprised how few folks use the foot pedal to turn the rod on decorative wraps. I guess the folks that build rods for a living are past the "hand cramping" stage of turning rods for hours at a time. I have a stock Pac Bay machine, I just set the speed rheostat low, and regulate the speed further with my right hand to keep the speed consistant. Suprisingly, I've never burned up a motor either. I do have to reverse by hand periodically. I wrap bands up to 4 threads, I can't manage many more than that consistantly. (someday I'd like to see information on how folks wrap bands of thread- I know there has to be a better way than the way I do it- future thread?) For that I use the left hand to apply the band and the right to regulate the speed (3-4 thread bands are strong enough to slow the motor down without breaking the threads) and keep the different threads separated and tangle free. I don't know if I'm faster or slower than others, but I don't get the "claw grip" as much. I'm glad I didn't read all these posts before I got the power wrapper, I would have given up on it after a few tries! I'd certainly encourage new builders to try it. Hope this helps..............

Rich

Date: August 22, 2010 07:50AM

Rich -
Thanks! The second reason I resurfaced the question is pretty simple. I'm no spring chicken and I've developed carpal tunnel. I honestly have a difficult time feeling size A thread in my fingers and that alone makes doing wraps more difficult. I tried under power a long time ago and gave it up as "too difficult to manage". Perhaps a combination of "Billy's plastic box" and much slower speed . I've got to find another way to do simple diamonds & chevrons. Before I found it relatively easy to wrap 3-4 thread simultaneously through my fingers - now NOT. Luckily I can leave the trickier closed wrap patters to my wife. I've got an original American Tackle and a PacBay wrapper both with rheostats so I'll try on those. I'm also going to hook up a router speed controller (basically a rheostat) to my Renzetti & see if that might work better for me since I can back up threads 2-3 revolutions with it.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2010 09:01PM

Sorry Ken...when I read the post I was angry at the time and it was a reactionary response from me, a self admitted prik. But it does come down to "everybody does things differently"....and in this case age or other strange cramping factors fall into play in which a power wrapper at slow burnout speed and a multi thread band wrap can pull off some serious wraps.

MJ

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Date: August 23, 2010 08:39AM

Michael -
No problem ......... I'm familiar with "too late a night .... tired and grumpy ... too much coffee .... " BEEN THERE / DONE THAT. I suspect this is just me learning to do something new .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster