I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite arbors.
Posted by: Danny Condruti (---.sprint.com)
Date: August 20, 2010 03:18PM

Does anubody know how those arbors are made? I need one arbor about 12" long and all I can find are 5.25". Don't want to put two together, is for a special project. I decided to try to make my own but need some info about the proccess involved. One way I see is to get graphite power and mix with epoxy but that would be kind of heavy. Any info please? Thanks in advance.

Please keep the internet green!
Recycle electrons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite arbors.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 20, 2010 03:19PM

They're not graphite - they're urethane foam. A complete article on making your own was in the Volume 10 #6 issue of RodMaker. It's a 2 part mix and available in several different densities. Most likely you want at least the 8lb stuff for good seat arbor material.

Date: August 20, 2010 03:55PM

From I know, they are graghite, at least they are sold like that...[www.mudhole.com]
This is what I want to make. The project is a rod with CF tube for rear grip and want to fill in the space between the blank and the CF tube. Need something light and strong.
Can the link to the article be posted please.

Recycle electrons.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: August 20, 2010 04:09PM

Right from your link...

"Made of rugged polyurethane"

If you are using a carbon tube you only need one arbor at the front and one at the back. Add one in the middle if you feel more secure.

Chuck

Date: August 20, 2010 04:29PM

Exactly. Again, they're not graphite, they're urethane. You only need an inch near the rear and an inch near the front. The carbon tube provides its own rigidity. That's how you keep it strong, and light.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2010 06:03PM

If a company makes/sells arbors made out of polyurethane for use with graphite tubing and graphite reel seats. They get to call them “graphite arbors”
The "graphite" infers what they are used with, not made from

Date: August 20, 2010 07:14PM

Didn't know that. How can I make my own?

Recycle electrons.

Date: August 20, 2010 07:37PM

RodMaker Volume 10 #6 has the full detailed instructions and photos. Or you can attempt it via internet information and hope for the best.

Essentially you're going to mix 2-parts and pour the mix into a mold. When it sets, you pop it out and turn to the desired size.

Date: August 20, 2010 08:23PM

Will look for the info. Thanks.
No mold, the blank and the CF tube are the permanent mold.

Recycle electrons.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2010 10:25AM

Danny,

You also have premade options. I've used several of these, both the straight tubing, and made split grips out of the tapered sections.

[www.batsonenterprises.com]

Joe

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 21, 2010 01:12PM

I don't think you want to use the blank and tube as your mold, the process can get a bit messy, and you could end up ruining a perfectly good handle assembly!!!! Buy, beg, borrow or steal........well....don't really steal it, but get Vol 10 #6. And, as stated earlier, you really need only three arbors at the most, even on a 14-16" tube.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster