I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to correctly anchor down your decretive WRAP
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 12:21PM

What’s the best way to correctly anchor down your decretive WRAP on the end without leaving gaps showing.

Example it’s called a BUTT Wrap that anchors the two end of the decretive Wrap and it sometimes leaves gaps between thread. I hope this makes it more clear any help or know how would be great thanks all.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to correctly anchor down your decretive WRAP
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 12:32PM

I looked in the Library above & didn't find this topic. Tom is certainly welcome to copy/paste/edit this from my website... Or I will try to condense
[kensfishingrods.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 12:40PM

here is another : [visualweave.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 20, 2010 12:43PM

The link I posted is a TUTORIAL = no sales

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 12:46PM

The one I posted is Billy's step by step on butt ends.

Scroll down a little

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 12:47PM by bill boettcher.

Date: August 20, 2010 01:04PM

MudHole's ROD BUILDING 101 (at the top center of their web page) is also a good source for lots of techniques.

Posted by: Seth Holt (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 01:21PM

I found the visualweave article interesting however. I don't try as hard to tie them off. What I do is put color preserver on the wrap when complete. After it drys them I can cut off the ends and taper them to the rod. The color preserver will keep the wrap from coming apart. After I have trimmed the end of the weave or butt wrap. I will then wind the ends normally. I have used this sucessfully on many rods and it works great.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 20, 2010 01:45PM

Very simple. Cut the pattern threads a few at a time as you make the tie-off wrap. Then, as you complete the tie-of wrap, instead of ending it in one pass, reverse and wrap back over the wrap and tie-off on the opposite end. Once finished no one will know the tie-off wrap is two layers deep. I guarantee you this will do exactly what you're looking for.

Re: How to correctly anchor down your decorative WRAP
Posted by: Scott Taylor (---.morganticm.com)
Date: August 20, 2010 01:50PM

My method is similar to Seth's CP the entire wrap and past where the tie-off's will be by a little bit and let it dry overnight. Come back the next day an start the tie off, after about 8 tight wraps start trimming and tapering the decorative wrap threads and continue & finish the tie off. It has worked well for me so far. Let us know what works for you!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 21, 2010 02:19AM

Mine is similar to Seth's. With mine I start back from the end and work towards the threads I plan to cut. As I move forward about 6 wraps I stop an randomly cut threads at a beveled angle then I separate them and add a light coat of CP an press each thread down. then I continue to wrap off the end. I use vary little pressure on my wrap off thread

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2010 09:14PM

Yep! cut a few at a time & smash the ends so they unravel as you go and if need be do like Tom said & reverse direction & do a second layer. Loosen tension a bit for second layer.

The terms "Butt-Wrap" and "Decorative Wrap" are descriptions of the same thing for the most part. The wraps that secure the ends of a butt-wrap are commonly referred to as "tie-offs".

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2010 01:39PM

Glenn,

All the methods mention will work well, the one thing I will repeat is when trimming the ends listen to the advice regarding trimming them in a tapper so as to spread out the thread bulk. If you blunt cut the ends you will have one big pile of thread, hence the cause of gaps.

Tight lines,

JH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster