I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

punch rod
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 06:12PM

Evening guys,

I have been doing some searching for a blank for a punch rod but have not come up with too much. My guys are using 1.5 ounce tungsten and crashing the mats with a bunch of assorted plastics using 50-65lb power pro. i was thinking about the xp3 BB2 or the Batson ISWB904. I would like to keep it as light as I can

what do you all think?

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: punch rod
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2010 06:52PM

BB2 will work.
But on the Batson I would opt for the RX8-XMB944.5

Date: August 17, 2010 07:11PM

Steve,

would the Batson be your choice?

Tom

Date: August 17, 2010 08:00PM

At this point I cannot say so.

I obtained both these blanks for the purpose of building punch rods from them, and to determine which one I will use.
The Batson is 4 inches longer then the BB2,
Their actions are very similar,
But to me the Batson has more back bone

In testing truly like the Batson blank and prefer how it feels.
But I have not had the Batson on the water yet.

So at this point; to say it would be “my choice” would be a lie.

We only have one “Grass” lake here in which a punch rod is necessary and with the tournament schedule I have, it could be a month or so before I'm back there to compare the two.
Sorry not to be more helpful

Date: August 17, 2010 08:05PM

no worries Steve, I just may have to do the same as yourself and give it a go with each blank as these are rods that are not needed right away. I only have Back Bay with heavy grass but I may have to get them and take an "exploritory trip" up to the James, Chickahominy or even Potomic to give em a fair shake.

if anyone else has any other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate those as well. The wife has given the green light on extra blanks as of tonight so if I have to order "demo's" I am good :)

Thanks,
Tom

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: August 17, 2010 10:08PM

castaway XP874 and if you need the length then extend it. Great blank. soft enough tip yet great backbone.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 10:20PM

Thomas your post started what could result in an epic battle!

You rang the bell for round 1.

The Swamp Boyz were returning from Houston to New Oleans in a driving rainstorm when your post popped up an Lance's IPOD! We knew the odds makers would be interested when Mr. "M&M" Gardner, AKA Howard Cossel of the Rod Wars, chimed in to announce prefight promotional publicity.

It just so happens Swampland Tackle has both blanks referenced above in stock and are prepared to immediately throw them in the ring. A punch rod is vital to those who choose to engage in hand to hand combat with tournamnet winning fish with huge wads of green stuff attached -

Thomas if you agree to be impartial and agree to evaluate both combatants Swampland will chip in several items. Included in but not limited to free botle of Cajun Hot Sauce and free Custom Whack Em Stick Punch Decals.

As thre referee in the Ultimate Fighter Series announces pre fight - Lets Git Er On!!

A punch rod is vital to those who choose to engage in hand to hand combat with tournamnet winning fish with huge wads of green stuff attached -

Just sent you and email for specifics of punch rod - 907 on the brochure attached.

Will provide details of build upon request.

Rolly the 874 tops out at 1 1/2 oz is considerg the grass rod and not quite as heavy as the BB2 Punch Stick which is rated to 2 1/2 ounce

The Batson is quite new to the line up and this could be a very good opportunity to get a good comparison of the two blanks mentioned.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 10:29PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: August 18, 2010 07:06AM

St. Croix C711HMF. Available in Legend Elite or Legend Tournament.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Date: August 18, 2010 08:26AM

Thomas;
I agree with Bill Swampland is the place to get both!

And even though he has never offered to sweeten my deals or meals with their swamp juice; they are fine people to work with.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wch2ks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 18, 2010 09:48AM

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a punch rod and how is it used ?

Thanks, Terry

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2010 10:03AM

Terry, take a look at this video. Tells you exactly what you want to know.

[www.youtube.com]

Lance

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 18, 2010 10:05AM

heavy weight lure - 1 - 1.5 oz - usually flipped or pitched on grass matted on the surface - punches through to get to the clear underneath where Bertha lives. You then have to pull the hawg that bites that monster bait through that grass back to the boat.

Sometimes you can have what seems like 15# of just grass - not counting the fish.

Pretty violent technique and VERY tough on equipment. Most guys are using 50 - 80# braid and have the drags locked on their reels.

My personal preference is to go with a lower modulus material and a little slower action due to the rigors. You need a tough rod - but it can't weigh a ton or you will be flat wore out.

-----------------
AD

Date: August 18, 2010 11:37AM

The angler usually screams "Knock Em Out John" when they look up and see the 'thang" with a wad of green stuff flying over their heads. The only one sensitive is the poor fisherman who enters the ring with equipped with the wrong tool and the poor custom builder who selected the the wrong blank!! If you choose the wrong blank be sure to have a copy of Rodmaker with the blank failure handy!

The fisherman, normally a full blown Bassin Bubba, that yells the loudest probably has some unique decals on the back end for all to see on the winners stand at the end of the day.

Thomas, I will set you up some custom decal "screamers" for you to show to shipmates on the deck of the fighting ship on your next tour!

Take a look: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Swamp Boyz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 12:10PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wch2ks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 18, 2010 11:39AM

Thanks. I live in Kansas and have fished for bass that way. Just didn't know that there was a name for the technic.

Date: August 18, 2010 12:51PM

Mr. Toledo Bend M$M:

You giggling yet?

Why don't you fess up and tell rodbuilders one of your customers who is a "Knock Em Out John Elite Ex Bassmaster Classic Winner" uses a Punch Rod Blank for his Drop Shot Blank of Choice!

I think his quote in seminars -

Control the fish or let the fish control you!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 18, 2010 04:32PM

Bill... if you can bring him out of exile to post with that... I'll be impressed.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.220.213.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 18, 2010 11:23PM

Not having done this type of fishing, so I may be way off the mark.
Based on the criteria that's been given.
My choice would be a 1 piece 7 foot IM6 Musky blank.
St Croix 2M70MHF for the top end.
Cabela's GMU 703 for the reasonably priced.
The requirement of light weight to minimize fatigue, casting heavy weights and strong fish fighting ability sound like prime musky requirements.
I'm certain I will be corrected if wrong on my assumptions.

Eugene Moore

Date: August 19, 2010 08:40AM

Eugene:

Key Statement: "Not having done this type of fishing"

7 foot - Lacks line slack take up capabilities -

Fast action will cost fish/rods - Instaneous extreme power application during combat needs smooth power transfer to the back end of the blank. Lock up points way out on the tip section will get severely tested by combatants.

No long fish fight involved - Knock Em Out John - Turn them head first - Yank em out the same way the lure entered water -Straight up! In the ideal world "cross eyed hawg" is so stunned when it hits the bottom of the boat they are too scared to flop around till you can pick them up and put in the live well.

Who is this Cabellas you refer too?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2010 09:44AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: August 19, 2010 08:46AM

Shhh, no talking about dropshotting through mats when I have a regional on Lake Seminole coming up………

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 19, 2010 10:46AM

PARTS INBOUND!!!!

Should be able to have them completed next week and have on the water analysis by the end of the weekend! I will keep you all posted.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster