I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New homemade wrapper
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2010 09:56AM

I just posted a picture of my homemade wrapper. I used a prefab basic wrapper for almost 2 years. I looked at the pictures posted here and took some advice from you guys. It's not the best looking thing in the world but it works great. Thanks to all of you for the ideas and help. If anyone wants the specs or a better picture just let me know. I'll clean it up and take better pictures later on. Thanks again for all the help!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 10:18AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New homemade wrapper
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 11:27AM

David
Did you decide to stay with the shorter lathe bed - or did you only foto the "basic" section?

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 11:39AM

Dave,
Really like the way you designed your thread tensioner. Did you use part of the tip section of a blank or something else?
Nice job on your design, looks very functional.
Lynn

Date: August 17, 2010 11:42AM

I had to go with a short bed (30") due to work space but I do have 2 extra stand alone supports. If I do a one piece rod or a long rod section a have to move everything onto the floor. It's a tiny room that my son stays in when he comes home on leave. He's and MP in the Army. One of these days, maybe, I'll have a room all to myself. If it was up to me I'd have everything in the living room but apparently my wife doesn't think it would go with the furniture. I hate living in an apt.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: August 17, 2010 11:48AM

The long wire tensioners are just .039 spring steel wire with loops in the ends. The loops are open kind of like a key ring that's been spread apart so you don't actually have to run the thread through the eye.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: August 17, 2010 12:03PM

Take my word for it - the kitchen table isn't a good idea either ;-)

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2010 04:56PM

Hi David,

If you ever want to make that a power wrapper a great place to find turning motors is thrift stores. I have a few singer motors that are pretty much new and work great. It seems lots of folks get rid of oldsewing machines and lots of them end up in thrift stores. You can usually pick them up for about 10 to 25 dollars depending on condition. Just thought I would put my two sense in.

Tight lines,

JH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 05:03PM

You can also add to your unit. Mine is a wrapper, lath, finisher

I keep thinking of making it a power wrapper ?? I have done a little upgrading [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 17, 2010 05:49PM

I actually have a motor but I don't have the stuff to make a chuck and shaft adapter. I might eventually break down and buy a shaft collar chuck one of these days. I'd like to try a power setup before I put one on though. Does it help any or speed up the decorative wrap process? I'm sure it speeds up guide wrapping. Just wondering if it would make it any easier for the intricate wrapping.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 17, 2010 06:13PM

Decorative wraps can't be done under power as far as I know

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: August 17, 2010 06:20PM

That's good to know. Thanks Mike.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: August 17, 2010 08:47PM

David
You might want to check "TACKLE WORKS" link on the left & see if there's a rod builder listed that's relatively nearby. I think most any rod builder who has a power wrapper would entertain a visit to let you try it out.

Date: August 18, 2010 09:07AM

That would be awesome. I forgot to mention that I have a power dryer. The motor on it is definitely not powerful enough to wrap with though and it turns at one speed (slow). I bought the dryer from one of our sponsors to the left after my second rod build. I really appreciate all your help guys.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: August 18, 2010 09:23AM

perhaps you can change the motor on your dryer and make it a power wrapper and dryer with a control to set the motor speed.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 18, 2010 09:32AM

Yeah, I suppose I could. A sewing machine motor has variable speeds. Do you think it would work as a stand alone motor so I could just move it out of the way when I'm not using it, or would that create too much instability since it's such a larger motor?

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: August 18, 2010 09:55AM

I don't use a power wrapper. When I do a long say under wrap I loosen things up and rub my hands over the blank so it is not so tiering.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 18, 2010 06:54PM

I do all my decorative wraps using my power wrapper. After 30 some odd years of doing them by hand, I got tired of hand turning. Not only easier on the fingers, but it frees up another hand. Especially helpful when wrapping bands of thread. It took some getting used to, but I'd never go back. I thought everyone with power wrappers used it for decorative wraps? It would be interesting to see how many of the pros used them for the decorative work........

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2010 07:32PM

Great job, your own work will be an inspiration!

Date: August 19, 2010 01:32PM

Rich,
I've been wrapping rods for a little while - you are the first person I know of that does decorative wraps under power. Care to share any "secrets" ?
Type of wrapper? Nominal speed? Number of threads simultaneously? Intricacy of the wraps?

Date: August 19, 2010 02:38PM

I wonder if Bill V does his under power

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster