I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro guides
Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 06:48PM

I am going to give the micros a try...going to be building on a JAWS JI7602....it is 7'-6" going to cut to 7'..... how many mirco's, size, and location from tip do you guys think.........thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2010 06:55PM

For anyone to advise you on what size guides to use they're going to have to know what size and type line you intend to use.

This is one of the problems too often encountered - you can't just announce that you want to use "micro guides" and expect to get good advice. You have to use the proper sized guides (regardless of what you call them) before you can get the sort of advice that's going to put you close to the required guides. In the end, you'll still need to do some work on your own to find out just how small you can go. It is possible, of course, to go too small.

Fill in a few blanks and I'm sure several folks will be happy to offer some recommendations.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: August 16, 2010 07:01PM

With all due respect to everyone I don't think a deep jigging/popping rod near 30# class is the right place for micro guides. I do think you could get away with a single foot guides but I wouldn't go smaller than a 6 and that is pushing my comfort level.

By the same token I wouldn't advise someone use roller guides on a small stream trout rod.

Perhaps we are caught up in words and you should describe what you intend in greater detail? A spinning outfit with 20# braid and all knots outside the guide train is about as light as I'd see someone going with that blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 16, 2010 07:40PM

Sorry guys
No knots inside the guides...It's mostly straight up and down fishing on structure with 20-30lbs braid from boat.....built one rod on the lighter jaws blank and was thinking about using the micros on this one

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2010 07:55PM

Okay, one thing you need to remember is that on a blank of that heft there will be a point of diminishing returns where guides are concerned. At some point, any weight savings on the guide end is going to be so slight that you'll never notice any difference.

For instance, if you're currently using a mainstay of say, size 12 guides and move to say, size 6's, you may see some difference. On the other hand, if you're already using something such as size 8's and move to 4's, you may not notice one iota of difference.

My guess is that with that size line and no knots to deal with, you can easily employ size 4's and have no line passage issues. Whether or not they'll hold up to what you're doing is something you're going to have to find out for yourself. And whether or not you see any performance increase with guides of that size is going to depend on what you're using now.

Posted by: Rick Ballard (209.60.72.---)
Date: August 17, 2010 10:12AM

I don't use those type blanks but I have 4 rods with 3.5mm micro guides that I use 50 or 65lb braid and have absolutely no problems casting or fighting fish. I wrestled a 6.5 lb bass out of heavy grass and lily pads and had no problems. Don't know how this relates to what you are doing, but the guides will definitely pass 20 to 30lb braid.

Date: August 17, 2010 07:14PM

I am just trying something different...not worried to much about weight....the last one I did went down to 6's so I thought I would try going even smaller.....Thanks for the input

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 19, 2010 08:58AM

Harry the micro guide selection improvements now coming on line will allow furthur refinement of the micro guide market.

I was sent samples of a guide new to this country by Anglers Resource that will apply to your use requirements.

The Alconite Heavy Duty Micro Guides for casting or spinning rods will be soon be available in black stainless in sizes from 4 to 6.

Product Number - BLDAG

The samples I received were titanium frame. Impressive frame strength design features.

I was told that Billy Vivona has used this titanium frame guide previously by direct import.

Evidently the Japanese market has been using this guide on the vertical jiggers for quite some time.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-05rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 19, 2010 09:11AM

Good news Bill. Is there anything out there now that you consider suitable for his needs?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 19, 2010 07:42PM

I like the info Bill, Thanks.....but like I was saying it's only an idea so far and not set in stone....but that is some good news

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster