I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marbleing reel side plates
Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.98.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 09:00AM

I have been thinking about trying this to a couple of reels, I only want to do like the side plates on a Abu 6000 or something. I have done quite a few marbled rods and maybe I am just overthinking it but do I need to somehow rotate the parts as the base coat is setting up, if not it would just run off, right? I have been trying to think how I could make some kind of "stand" of sorts so I could mount it in my chuck on my drying motor to keep the finish level, does that make sense?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marbleing reel side plates
Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-06rh15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 07:42PM

I marbeled my whole reel which was an old Quantum EX 500 and it did fine without rotating it but I was probably using a different application than you may have been. I was using automotive (HOK) Marbelizer air brush paints and it came out fine. I clearcoated with auto. clearcoat which takes about 5 hours to dry. I did make something out of pvc and a pc of a wacky noodle to rotate odd parts though. It attaches to my dryer just fine.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.sukram.info)
Date: August 16, 2010 08:01PM

Intrigued by the use of paints to do this. Epoxy is heavy and colored paints would seem to be more ideal. Any specifics you might care to share?

Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.98.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 08:51PM

Im with Barry on this one, I would like to know a little more about the paints and the wacky noodle, I may have in mind what your doing, maybe?. The method I use is the same one on here in the library section, or the "Putter" style of marbling, works great but I'm not real sure on how to do some odd ball shaped pieces like I mentioned, I am going to try something tomorow.
I also wonder if I should lightly sand down the side plates to help with the epoxy to stay put a little better?

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 17, 2010 01:54PM

I think you would be well ahead of the game if you contact Putter directly. I've seen his reels and his rods. Based on what I know of him from the events I've attended, he is more than willing to share his ideas and techniques. He has a DVD available as well. He's already figured out a way to marble the entire reel and I do mean the ENTIRE reel!!.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 02:10PM

I think this is his email:
putter@dia.net

Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.111.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 06:29PM

That is a good idea and I think I will shoot him an e-mail and get some info, thanks guy's and thanks Ken for the address.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 06:30PM

Here's another email address I found for him
putter@nccray.net

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: August 18, 2010 12:37AM

I have used the HOK products for marbeling reels and it works great. I have some example photos in the links below. I would have posted them here but.... photo page issues...

So I hope the links are OK to post.

This reel is black base, with silver marbeling and a translucent blue added to part of the reel to give contrast and to show how you can create alternate colors of marbeling by using overspray or mixing products.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." — [Ian Holm (Bilbo Baggins)]

Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.97.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 18, 2010 09:31AM

Thanks Charles! that is what I am looking for, I would love to know a few details on how you done the process, my fear I guess is keeping the parts rotated to keep my base coat from running, after it starts to set then im ok, but getting that first part is what is eluding me, any info would be great!
thanks

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: August 18, 2010 11:03AM

prep reel surfaces, airbrush on HOK base color let it dry at least a couple hours, spray on the House of Kolor (HOK) Marbelizer fairly wet and then you take plastic wrap and press it down on the reel surfaces you just sprayed and lift off the plastic wrap, let that dry, if you want to apply a coloring over the marbelizer color you picked then just air brush it on where ever you want it. Kandy red looks very cool as well. once all of the layers have dried to the recommended lengths of time I have been using a Dupont automotive clear coat following the directions for that product.

So no turning, spinning... Just an airbrush / touchup spray gun. HOK has/had the instructions on line if you want more details.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster