I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New concept measurement help.
Posted by: Rob Savino (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2010 04:57PM

I am looking to place the choker guide. I don't understand this phrase in the article. "outside diameter of the front of the line spool lip" Can someone tell me where this is on the reel? It is the measurement that has to be multiplied by 27.
Rob

Boston, MA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New concept measurement help.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2010 05:03PM

Measure across the front of the spool - the spool face. Outside to outside edge.

Date: August 15, 2010 05:09PM

Yes that's what I thought, but my measurement puts the choker guide 4 inches from the tip of the rod. A 7' blank with a Shimano 3500.

Boston, MA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2010 05:11PM by Rob Savino.

Date: August 15, 2010 05:25PM

The choker guide doesn't care where the tip of the rod is. You have to get it in your head that the important thing is the distance between the choker and the reel, not the distance between the choker and the rod tip. Line control happens between the reel and the choker, not between the choker and the tiptop.

For that same reel, the choker guide should be the same distance from the reel regardless of whether the rod is 7 feet long, or 17 feet long.

Date: August 15, 2010 06:11PM

Tom is it possible to talk on the phone? 617-283-5801.
Rob Savino

Boston, MA

Posted by: keith osborn (120.16.244.---)
Date: August 16, 2010 12:01AM

hi Rob

what was the outcome on this as i have a similar issue on a 6'6" using a daiwa sol 2500

regards
keith

Keith Osborn
Niagara Pk
Australia

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 12:40AM

So Tom, what you are saying is for Rob to place the choker 4" from the tip and then he can just put the tip top on and forget about any running guides. Or are you trying to tell him to get a smaller reel so his rod will not look funny? Or a 3rd option, to forget about the NGC with this rod/ reel combination?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 16, 2010 07:06AM

With a big enough reel, and a short enough rod, NGC basically reverts to old "cone of flight" layout.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 16, 2010 08:02AM

Les,

What I told him to do was go ahead and set it up per the instructions. He's done everything right and the outfit is going to work just fine.

Builders should worry about how things work, not how they look. There is nothing in the NGC that stipulates you should have a certain distance of rod length beyond the choker guide. That portion does not matter. What matters is the distance between the reel spool and the choker guide. That's the area where line gathering and control take place. What happens after the choker guide is of no concern. Whether you have 4 inches or 40 inches beyond the choker to the tiptop makes no difference whatsoever. It is the distance from the reel spool to the choker that matters.

Date: August 16, 2010 09:30AM

So the outcome was that the rod is setting up just fine. I ended up with 4 transition guides the choker and the tip top. I do have a longer than normal butt handle. I am waiting for some other guides to come in to see if there needs to be any additional transition guides. A quick visual of the guide set up indicates to me that the cone of flight should be just about perfect. Visually the rod looks great also. I haven't casted it yet, but I will post after I do.
Rob Savino

Boston, MA

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 09:49AM

So only 4 Guides on a 7' Rod?

Ron Weber

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: August 16, 2010 10:03AM

He ended up with 5, which if the handle is long enough may be perfectly fine.

Date: August 16, 2010 10:06AM

Rob's butt grip is 14 inches long.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 01:15PM

(>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 04:03PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 01:44PM

With that butt handle and that reel - the tape does not lye . put the handle on seat and tape some guides on -- test cast you do have the cone of flight system

Unless you get a smaller reel it is what it is . it should cast very well.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 16, 2010 03:49PM

He has the New Guide Concept. All is well. He does not need a smaller reel.

Date: August 16, 2010 08:55PM

Everything is good here. I may end up trimming the handle a little after I fish it a while. I actually wanted a 6'6" rod to begin with instead of the 7'. As far a the number of guides there is five plus the tip. I have others guides on order and I will see if I need another transition guide.
Tom, my understanding of the New Guide Concept, it looks like the choker guide could also be the tip, is this true?
FYI this is not happening in my case.
Rob Savino

Boston, MA

Date: August 16, 2010 10:01PM

It could be if the reel is very large and the rod is very short. But as you say, that isn't the case for you on this one.

Date: August 19, 2010 09:37PM

So here is the final layout. 7' graphite blank with a 14" handle and a Shimano 3500. Starting from the reel seat 30, 25,20,16,10,8 (choker) tip 8. I cast this tonight with 20 lb braid line and it was smooth as silk. It cast very far with minimal effort. Approx. 130' with a 3/4 oz lure (in to the wind) with just a flick (with taped on guides). A few times I had to look at the reel to see if the line was still going out when I cast, because it didn't hear it. Nice cone of flight. Now I will wrap it, fish it and build the second one.
Thanks for the help.
Rob Savino

Boston, MA

Date: August 20, 2010 08:06AM

Rob,

I'll suggest one thing to try before you wrap it up. Take out the 25 and the 10 and reset the guides and try once more, just to see how that does.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster