I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Conept
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 12:32PM

I have just put together, temporarily, a 7'11" spinner using the new concept for a Stradic 3000. The guides seem a little strange to me...so I thought I would ask others' opinion. The butt guide is 25mm, followed by 16mm, 10mm, and 7mm as the choker and then (5) 7mm to the tip. What strikes me as odd (in appearance) is the drop from 16mm to 10mm, but that is where it lined up. The choker is 50inches from the top of the reel spool, which is 47mm. Any thoughts? Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Conept
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 12:55PM

Did you multiply the OD of the I call it - face plate of the reel by 27. This locates the chock guide.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2010 01:05PM

Clinton:

Forget what it looks like - just go out and cast it. I think you're going to be surprised.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 13, 2010 01:08PM

I would drop the 16 and go with a 12 0r 10, then 7's or 6's

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 13, 2010 01:27PM

try out 25, 10, 5, 3.5 and then 2.0's to the tip.

Tom

Date: August 13, 2010 01:42PM

yes, 47 x 27 = 1269 = approx 50 inches

Date: August 13, 2010 01:43PM

I did and without much effort, it went over 100 feet with .4 oz plastic and hook.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 01:49PM

You did good, wrap it up and go fishin

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2010 01:59PM

Exactly. You can't predetermine guide sizes - you have to let the line path select the guides for you. Sounds like you did a good job.

The only other thing you might try would be reducing the choker and running guides by a size or two. It won't have much effect, but could have some. If you have something smaller give them a try.

Date: August 13, 2010 02:00PM

The 100 feet were with 15lb braid. I have not paid much attention to this, so I do not know whether 100 is good or not, but I did not really cast hard because the guides and reel were just taped to the blank. It did seem pretty effortless however. Clinton

Posted by: Bill Napier (---.astrahosting.com)
Date: August 13, 2010 02:09PM

It will almost surely cast even further with just a little more effort....... but not too much! You can also overpower a rod and actually lose distance. A quarter ounce on #15 braid on a rod of that length should reach out 125 feet or so. I think you will get that once you lean into it just a little bit.

I would second the idea that if you have some even smaller guides for the choker and running guides you might give them a try just for kicks.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 04:57PM

If you are going to use it exclusively for braid you can most certainly downsize the guides even further.... MUCH FURTHER depending on the braid.

Date: August 14, 2010 08:48AM

How much further. It is power pro (15lb). Clinton

Posted by: Bill Napier (---.astrahosting.com)
Date: August 14, 2010 08:51AM

For sure try size 6, and if you have or can get them go on down to size 4. Try casting again and compare distance and ease to what you have now. Should be a little difference at least.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster