I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger wrap with 3 base threads
Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 12:12PM

I am doing my first tiger wrap, and I wanted to know how using 3 base threads effects the outcome of the wrap. The base colors would be black, white, and gudebrod sunrise, with a royal blue overwrap. The guide wraps are royal blue and sunrise, so I wanted some sunrise color in the tiger wrap. Would I be better off just using black and sunrise in the base, and having a more subtle effect?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger wrap with 3 base threads
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2010 12:14PM

Most of the color tone comes from the top layer. The extent of your burnishing process on the bottom and the contrast between the colors there is what determines if the effect will be subtle or more striking.

Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 12:34PM

The guide wraps are predominately royal blue with only sunrise trim rings, so I was trying to carry that through the tiger wrap. I want the wrap be mostly blue with only sunrise undertones. Can this be achieved with three base threads, or should I remove the white thead? Thanks for the help.

Date: August 13, 2010 01:06PM

I think you're going to have to do a few short test wraps to arrive at exactly what you want. That's the only way you're going to know for sure.

I think I would use black and sunrise on the bottom and royal blue on the top.

Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: August 13, 2010 03:34PM

I would leave off the white off and run the blk and sunrise for the underwrap as Tom suggested,the contrast should give you the undertones you want......But anytime Im uncertain,I run a 2'' tiger wrap test of those colors on a scrap blank....It lets you know pretty quick if its gonna work or not.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: August 14, 2010 12:51AM

I get excellent results by doing the opposite of what has become somewhat conventional thought on tigers. I like to put the colors I want on the bottom layer, and go with black on top. With only two colors on the base wrap it turns out really dark, like said above most of the color tone in this case comes from the top layer. However, If you go with three colors on the base with black and TWO sacrificials on top, the bottom colors really come alive and even kind of blend - with colors seeming to appear that you didnt even use.
I even use different thread sizes to make one color stand out more than the others.
Using black and white or black and yellow (sunrise) for the base layer will always produce a good tiger (contrast is the KEY here), with the color being dominated by the top layer. For a standard one color tiger, you cant go wrong. However, If you want what you described as a two color tiger, you should definatly do a test with the three color base.
If you want the royal blue to stand out, I would do the following:
Three on the base - white and sunrise in SIZE A and royal blue in SIZE C. then burnish in random directions (not so random once you start figuring out what combo of directions result in what effects). Give it two coats of finish.
Then on top - black and TWO sacrificials all in size A.
This will give you a killer looking tiger that IMO, takes it to the next level.

Posted by: Joe Robbins (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 14, 2010 03:10PM

I'd like to see pics of the tiger wrap.

Joe

Date: August 14, 2010 04:39PM

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 14, 2010 04:50PM

Joe. I'm having probs trying to post the three thread tiger from my iPhone, so I'll try to get one up when I get to work tonight

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2010 05:35PM

Andrew,

Here is an example of one I did in Gudebrod Scarlet and Medium Gray. The base layer is one thread each of scarlet and medium gray with medium gray over.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I would think that the royal blue and sunrise would have enough contrast to try a test wrap using only those colors.

Let us know what you choose and how it works out.

Joe

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 15, 2010 12:15AM

Steven, I have been curious on the wrapping of the top 3 threads. would the order be sacrificial, black, sacrificial? or sac, sac, black? I've done quite a few tigers but never with 2 sacrificials only with 1

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2010 05:27PM

Underwrap: Fishhawk "forest" variegated nylon, Pac Bay "cinnamon" NCP, Gudebrod "black" nylon - all size A.
Overwrap: Gudebrod "chestnut" nylon with no CP.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: August 18, 2010 11:30PM

Cheng,
It does not matter how you do it, as long as two of the three threads come out........
Start with your black, then inlay two other threads and then remove them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster