I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burnishing and Packing Thread
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 13, 2010 01:35AM

Hi All,

What is the main reason for burnishing and thread packing?

Is it more for aesthetics, structural or both?

The reason I ask is that I am doing a fly rod for the first time with SF wire fly guides and a Forhan locking wrap, and some of the guides are giving me a little trouble. I have packed and burnished the best I can, but there are still some gaps in the thread.

Is there a special technique/tips for SF wire fly guides, so they look like the thread wrap on SF spinning guides.

It doesn't look too bad, but as I am very particular, it is bugging me at the moment.

Also is it best to pack and burnish as you are wrapping, or wait till the end.

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burnishing and Packing Thread
Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: August 13, 2010 01:46AM

Both.
We should differentiate between burnishing and packing though.

Burnishing "polishes" the individual threads into one continuous layer of smooth thread, while packing aligns the threads making for a stronger, more compact wrap.

I don't pack as I go along, as I find that it just makes the wrap uneven. I make sure that the thread is pulled at a slight angle across the wrap as I turn the blank so that each thread lays down tight next to the previous one.

The above approach should keep most of the gaps from forming in the first place, but my way of removing any that do form is to leave the tag ends free on both ends (after being pulled through) so I can pull out any slack as I pack and burnish (this is especially important with polyester thread like Madeira because it stretches quite a bit). Once I am satisified with the wrap I trim the tag ends.

Hope that helps.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 02:12AM

May I add, in most cases if do not pack (pushing threads together and burnishing (making the threads flat) when you put the finish coat on and it dries you well see gaps between the threads. The finish acts as a mini magnifier

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 07:55AM

Bob is right on ! any imperfections will be magnified as soon as the epoxie hits it. Just take your time so you have no over laps or gaps between the thread.

Walt is on the money too. If you don`t have a burnishing tool, you can use anything round and smooth .

Bill,

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 10:08AM

Richard,
Like Walt I work at a slight angle so the thread lies next to the previous thread. However if I see a gap as I wrap, I use my thumb to close the gap. I use a heavy Fly Tying Bodkin as a burnishing tool. When you do the Forhan Locking wrap, a gap sometimes occurs with the loop around the shaft of the hook. my burnishing tool has a sharp point, and I can use that to close those gaps as well. I hope our ideas help you.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 12:46PM

for tool, any thing smooth, flat and has no sharp edges I use Chop sticks! I bevel the big end to a degree that allows me to pack me to pack. the ones I use are kind of square at the handle end. Minne are also made of a plastic material and shape easily on my grinder or when using a file. Hint before shaping I stick them in a freezer over night that keeps the temperature down and the material well not get hot and curl when grinding

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Phil Erickson (76.195.181.---)
Date: August 13, 2010 08:07PM

As stated above, packing and burnishing art very different. I build only fly rods and use SF wire guides extensively, and find them are no harder wrap well than other types.

I do pack as I wrap to be absolutely sure there are no gaps between the thread. I burnish only afterward when I have completed all the wraps. One exception is when I have metallic thread trim wraps on the ends of the nylon as I find burnishing metallic can be risking problems.\

Also as covered above a smooth metal or plastic rounded surface is best for burnishing so as not to raise fiber in the thread as you rub.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2010 08:40AM

Phil,
I agree with Phil.
With respect to a packing or burnishing tool, I would suggest that you use a non fiberous material for the tool.

i.e. Don't use a wood burnishing or packing tool. The reason that I suggest this, is that when I used wood sticks as a burnishing tool, tiny wood fibers would work off of the tool and get into the thread as I worked. The wood fibers were in the thread to stay after that.

Rather use a plastic or metal tool, with non sharp edges. Any very sharp edges run the risk of cutting the thread.
One exception, is that I also use a fine needle point pick. I use this pick all of the time when I am wrapping. I always use it on the last thread loop, as I am pulling the locking thread tight. I put the pick into the locking loop as I pull it tight and it keeps the loop from twising and causing a knot as I draw the loop tight.

So, when I am using the locking wrap on the guides, I use the point of the pick to pack the threads in and around the guide foot The wider broader, duller packing tool that I normally use will not work in these close quarters of the guide foot - especially on the back side where gaps can occur.

As the other posters have mentioned, keep your wraps tight as you go, and then you don't have to pack very much. I generally keep about a 15-20 degree thread angle against the preceeding wraps to insure that the next one lies tight. When you are working up the guide foot, you sometimes have issues, there because it is sometimes necessarly to slightly loosen the tension of the thread to get a wrap to climp the foot. But then after the first wrap is on the foot, you can normally retighten the next wrap.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 16, 2010 03:05AM

I will try all the suggestions.

Thanks All,

Richard

Posted by: Joe Ledbetter (---)
Date: April 19, 2020 12:06PM

Speaking of burnishing thread when wrapping, are the Clemons Teflon coated burnishing tools (or reasonable facsimile) still available? I'm trying to get started back at this after 25 years away and I've found all my tools but my burnisher. I've still got boxes of components and other assorted stuff to go through so there's hope but I'm pretty sure all my tools (except obviously the burnishing tool), went in the same box with my wrapping stand, and so far I've had zero luck finding another one on the interwebs.
If I can't get a replacement for my old tool, any rec's for a similar replacement? Thanks in advance for any and all help comments and suggestions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster