I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Product discontinued!
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 01:36PM

It is sad when things change sometimes.
I went to my local building supply yesterday to pick up a few lbs of epoxy for rod building. Much to my dismay, I found that the 1 lb containers of 30 minute epoxy are no longer being carried by the supply house.
I did a bit of checking and found that the epoxy supplier had been purchased by another company and had been renamed. Then , the new company has discontinued the sale of the 1 lb tubs of epoxy. Now, they only sell the small 3-6 oz syringes of epoxy.

As a matter of fact, the regional sales manager sent me a nice e-mail last night explaining the situation and asked if there were any other products that would work for my needs.

Yes, I know that there are wonderful products like Rod Bond and other epoxies on the market that do an excellent job for building rods, but when you have a good source for a product at an excellent price, it is sad to see when it disappears.

Well, I have had my SAD moment for the day - now time to move on and get back to the shop.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Product discontinued!
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 02:22PM

Sign of the times Waite till 20011

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 02:26PM

20011?! wow! that's a long ways away!
sorry, couldn't resist...

Date: August 12, 2010 02:30PM

OK Oops 2011 Better - Good catch My bad LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 12, 2010 02:30PM

I recently had a different situation with the same result - no product... the owner of the blank manufacturer (not a distributor or a board sponsor) I had worked with directly put a very sour taste in my mouth and the new sales guy didn't know how to return calls in less than 1.5 weeks. Now I would have thought this was odd, or that I did something, but another builder who I know had the exact same experience a week earlier.

So while the blanks are available... no way they are getting another dime from me - so no product.

Thing is... when that happened - I panicked a little. But it made me go out and find something else. Funny thing is... Looks like I might come out a whole lot better than where I had grown comfortable.

Things happen for a reason!

-----------------
AD

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 02:40PM

Alex,
Good point.
As a matter of fact, I just did just that.
I spent about 30 minutes searching, came up with as good or better product at a good price and the products are on the way.

Sometimes change is not a bad thing.

Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 12, 2010 03:28PM

Roger, you might want to try fasco epoxy. It has been an "under the radar" local brand that a lot of guys use.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 03:46PM

good job

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2010 03:47PM by kevin knox.

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 03:50PM

That Fasco place sells a Yellow resistant clear epoxy for fishing rod threads. I wonder if that stuff is any good? Could be where some of the other epoxy finish sellers buy in bulk so they can repackage to sell.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 04:26PM

You can save a dollar up front and it will cost you 1000 in the long run...

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 06:24PM

Les, no experience with fasco's thread coatings. Lots of experience with their paste type epoxy. Good stuff at a nice price if bought in the larger containers. The fact that the paste is widely used but I have never seen the thread coating used leads me to conclude it is either new or not well regarded. Sadly I don't know which is the case.

These days I try to cut down on the amount of epoxy and ream to fit when possible so I have gone to liquids like west systems, MAS, and sterling on handles and grips. I also like the flexibilty the different hardeners afford me given my ambient temperatures.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: David Spence (204.152.2.---)
Date: August 13, 2010 10:26AM

Try this-25 lbs. for $115.00. [www.tilestoreonline.com] be great for rod building applications.

Date: August 13, 2010 12:06PM

The link goes to a product that does not exist any more

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2010 12:12AM

There are a lot of epoxies out there. Made be relatively few companies.
The epoxies designed and formulated to work with rods having specific characteristics (like maintaining some elasticity) to work with the characteristics of flexing shafts (blanks).

I would be cautious when using, or suggesting epoxies not designed to be used with rods.

Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 16, 2010 12:37AM

Gentlemen, if any of you are looking for a supplier of epoxy glue, check Clark Craft, Tonawanda, N.Y. 14150........www.clarkcraft.com. They have very good boatbuilding epoxy glue at a very good price..............$29.00 per quart. I have used it for 15 years and it is very good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster