I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Choker and running guides.
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 11:41AM

Is the choker guide the same size as the running guides, which in this case are 6mm. I have a spinner with a spool of 47mm so I am placing the choker guide about 50 inches from the center of the top of the spool. The butt guide is 25mm. I could use an 8mm for the choker guide followed by the 6mm guides to the tiptop. I may be splitting hairs here, but would just like to know from the new concept perspective.

Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choker and running guides.
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 11:48AM

Yes First article : [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2010 11:51AM by bill boettcher.

Date: August 12, 2010 12:08PM

I read the article already and unless I missed it, it does not answer my question.

Posted by: kevin merritt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 12:21PM

The choker guide is typically the same as the running guides on NGC/27x setups. No need to use an 8 then 6's, 6's all the way to the tip would be fine as long as they pass all knots.

Date: August 12, 2010 12:28PM

Bill, sorry, I think I missued your answer. It got lost in your reference to the article. So, yes, the choker guide is the same as the running guides, which are 6mm in this case is what you are saying. If that is what you are saying, thanks. If that is not what you are saying, thanks anyway. I am easily confused. Clinton

Date: August 12, 2010 12:32PM

Thanks Kevin, that is what I thought, but just wanted a confirmation. Now if I can just figure out how to hold these small single footed guides in one place long enough to wrap them, I am going to be a happy campuer. Clinton

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2010 01:38PM

Yes, they are the same. The choker guide is the first running guide.

Date: August 12, 2010 01:53PM

Thanks Tom and thanks to everyone else as well.

Clinton

Posted by: Gary Gillett (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2010 01:55PM

Double up the smallest guide tubing(GT-1) to hold those guides in place.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster