I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Orange/White on matt grey blank
Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.153.8.67.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: August 11, 2010 01:19PM

I know this has been covered but I dont find the answer .Im using orange and white on gray blank and of course looks terrible .My test wraps on butt look like what I want if I use ncp white with 1255 madeira over with crystal clear water base cp and diamond II finish.This will be a spinning rod for freshwater with micro guides.My question will a short underwrap with the white end out enough for trim and my orange over for the guide wrap affect the performance enough to matter,or is there a better solution.Looks to me like a 1/2 " long wrap of thread couldnt weigh any more than that much white paint but thats why Im asking.IDK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Orange/White on matt grey blank
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2010 04:23PM

if you want the white to jump on a dark blank you can paint the area you plan on wrapping with a white. this will allow the white thread to be placed on a light background and the color will stand out better. paint is not the only option as long as you lighten the background it will assist in keeping the colors bright. it has been my experience that ncp threads dont have the vibrancy to the colors that non-ncp thread does. you may just have to experiment to get the look you want.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2010 04:33PM

Bruce, underwrap with silver first then one light coat of finish and then wrap your orange over the silver,

Lance

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 11, 2010 09:51PM

From the Peanut Gallery - Origin Swamp Boyz II

Rods from de Bayou delivered to the den of vipers!

Thanks goodness for the silver J Metallic Silver

Take a look!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The second picture is how white can come out on black blank with use of the silver underwrap.

Overlay with NCP white and one coat of Flexcoat CP.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2010 09:57PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.153.8.227.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: August 11, 2010 10:07PM

Bill that looks very well on them rods but is a little dull looking for this Tn. rod Im workin on.LOL just kidding.Actually the only thing I can think of that I know less about than building rods is football.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 09:22AM

Dull!

You should have seen the commotion in the room when the Gator crowd realized that the last three guides on the rods were wrapped with Purple and Gold!

"Rocky Top" fishing rods do not attract the "Shine,Cash Crop and Q" crowd and it simply has not been worth the effort in the past few years for us to move into that area!

OLO!

Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 01:16PM

What paint do you use, acrylic? Thanks. Clinton

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 02:28PM

I am putting NCP white and regular nylon orange on a blue blank now. Two good coats of CP and it looks - Good - Pack well the blank will show if the thread is not well packed together.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster