I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shortening a rod
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 06:08PM

There has been discussion on this forum about taking an MHX MB941, I think, and cutting 6" off it to make it a 7'6" rod. I mentioned this on a thread not long ago and someone said that to take the entire 6" off the butt end would leave the rod unbalanced. At first, I did not understand the comment, but now that it has been explained, I think I understand. I have been thinking about this and I guess the issue is whether you want to take something away from the backbone of the rod or the fastness of tip. Right? It would seem to me that it would be best to take 3" off each end, just to keep within the design of the rod (maybe), but perhaps that is just too simple of a way of looking at it. Is this a topic worthy of discussion, as it would help me out with my current work? As always, thanks.

Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shortening a rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2010 06:15PM

It really won't keep the rod similar to what you had before. There will be a marked change no matter if you take the length off the butt, tip or both.

Any length you remove will slow the action of the rod. A full 6 inches will make a large difference. Taking 3 and 3 will result in a less drastic power and action change, but it will still be a completely different animal than what you started with.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 06:40PM

Sometimes change is good. I have done just that with a Shikari 8 ft and made it into a 7'6" rod and I like it a lot better. I do not like to take off the tip, though. Try choking up on the blank and give it a try before cutting.

Date: August 09, 2010 07:00PM

Good idea. Thanks.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 08:37PM

Since I was the one to suggest shortening ... look at this (Mud Hole has them)

I think you can take 6" off the butt section of this blank and not have an issue with losing power.

SCII Graphite Musky & Saltwater
2M70HF2

2M70MHF2

Length sections line lure "action" type butt tip listed price
7' 2 20-50 3/4-3 FAST Musky-All Purpose/SW .6 8 $69.00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2010 09:46PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 09:20PM

Clinton,
I have chopped many rods down by a few inches or even a foot.
As one of the other posters have suggested, I almost never take anything off the tip of the rod.

For so many rods, the heart of the rod is in the 12 inches of tip. Lose even 1/2 inch on many rods can almost make the rod useless.

For you, if you took 4-6 inches off of the tip, I would think you would now have an extra heavy rod with a very large diameter tip that could be used to anchor your boat. If that is what you want for your rod, go for it.

As one of the other posters suggested. Just choke up on the blank and try some test casting.

If you want to take something off of the tip, just tape on a guide at the location where you are thinking about chopping the tip, do some test casting, as well as power flexing from the end of the line to get a feel for the action of the rod.

You can do the same thing, if you want to take 6 inches off of the butt of the rod. Simply tape the reel 6 inches further up the blank and move your guides up the blank by the same ratio. Then, do some test casting, as well as power flexing of the blank before ever doing any tip or butt cutting.

You can do virtually all of your testing, without trimming either end of the blank to get a pretty good feel for the final expected action of the rod.

---------

Summary -

Custom rod builder means that you can do anythng you want with your blank and other components to create the special rod that you want for your special or your clients special needs.

But, if you do blank trimming, do tests on the blank with guides and reels in the appropriate locations to reflect the desired trimming and come to the conclusion to make the blank do the best job to meed yours and your clients needs.

Roger

Date: August 09, 2010 09:36PM

Roger...outstanding, now I have methodology for doing this....great!!!! Thanks so much. Clinton

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2010 09:33AM

Also if you have a place to set up The CCS system you can use it to measure the power and lure weigh of the rod before you do any cutting. Plus check blanks for there true lure and line ratings.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: August 11, 2010 09:09AM

I always cut off 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the tip of the blank or cut enough off the tip to fit the closest size tip snugly. Also by cuting off some of the tip it insures that the blank tip is sound and free from any flaws from the manufacturing termination process. Cutting the butt end is preferred because it has less of an effect on the action of the blank. The only time the tip should be cut is if the blank is too fast (flexible).

Theory is true any time the blank is altered the action is effected, but how far does one go with theory. Just think when one is fishing, the water that gets on the blank can change the damping qualities of the blank, as the line gets more limp over time it can affect the blank's action. The point I am trying to make is, do not go to extremes and do not stay awake at night worring about cutting off a section of rod to suit your needs.

Mel,s suggestion of testing the action by chocking up on the blank before you do any cutting.

Also Roger said it best and I quote "Custom rod builder means that you can do anythng you want with your blank and other components to create the special rod that you want for your special or your clients special needs."

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster