I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Builder
Posted by: Joe Robbins (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 09, 2010 02:29PM

I just placed my first order with Mud Hole, they were great, very helpful with my rookie questions. I have been gathering parts and tools so today I ordered enough materials to get rolling. I also ordered a kit from them to with the one I got from a guy on the big @#$%& place. I got an old Loomis blank with handle and guides really cheap so now I will have two rods to build. Guess I need to get my work bench setup, mount the wrapper and get things laid out. I would love to be able to build in my new garage but it's way too hot and humid to work there so the basement work are will do. I will try not to ask too many dumb questions, like use the search function first then ask if I can't find it. I know from experience on other lists that answering the same question from new people time after time can be a pain.
So wish me luck and maybe someday I will do a rod that I will be able to show off. Love the videos on Mud Holes site, someday I will have to do the snake skin on a split grip rod.

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Builder
Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 02:35PM

Welcome to the world of additction! Don't be shy to ask anything - if it's one thing we have here, it's opinions! LOL

Cheers

P.S. Email me anytime - I'm no genius but I'll try to help

Walt (Buck)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 04:00PM

Yea - and you know what opinions are ??? LOL

be careful of those @#$%& Sites

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 09, 2010 05:06PM

I won't be using them much, too many good vendors out there. This was a super deal and for a beginner what the heck, the blank is a G Loomis IM6 , thought it was worth a try not knowing any better and I have very little $$ in it regardless.
Keep that info coming, I need it!

Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 05:14PM

Do your self a favor. -- take a pad right down all components on a Kit. Look for them Separately and list the prices - check . I find not much of a brake and buying all components separately you do save a little

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 06:33PM

Congrats Joe,

Well I am also joining the ranks here in Rod Building. My name Is Rick and I thought I would tag onto this post since there isn't a said spot dedicated to first timers here. I have been reviewing many topics in forums...there is a ton of information and helpful posts! and a few names I have seen on other boards and sites as well. My Wrapping Machine will be here very soon, they are building as we speak right now ....cant wait till they call and I can pick it up! Thank you moderator for accepting my registration ! Looking forward to reading long winded helpful hints and tips....I like reading them actually! ....not a complaint by any means! Folks seem very detailed in there instructions I like that! Well enough chit chat here ....have a great day folks !

Rick Heil ( no name ) Saint Helens Oregon !

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.153.8.121.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 06:34PM

Joe I dont know if they still do but Mudhole had some unsanded blanks they were selling for I believe $5 a piece.Understand they were not selling them as first line blanks to be built but for repairs and reamers and such.I bought 6 and ended up sanding and building 3 for my grand kids.They will get stepped on or jobbed in the ground and broke and they have caught a bunch of catfish in a friends pond on them and think they are top of the line.Just thought Id pass that along as Im also a beginner and needed the practice and they were plenty cheap.I caution again that they were NOT sold as buildable blanks.Pretty cheap practice I thought.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 07:42PM

Good luck Joe. Where do you live?

Kevin

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 08:44PM

Joe and Rick -
Purchase #1 should be reading material. Start with Tom's book from Amato press (several of the sponsors sell it including Mudhole). It is by far the most concise, easiest to read, least filled with technical jargon than any other book I've come across. It clearly sets out a step by step process to a fine finished product. Best of luck to you in trying to keep this from becoming addictive.

Joe you wrote "answering the same questions from new people can be a pain" - Answering the same questions from old people (me included) is also likely painful LOL

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 10:08PM

I knew a pretty hardcore fisherman named Joe Robbins in Va Beach about 8 years ago. Any chance that's you?

Date: August 09, 2010 11:28PM

Not me, I live in Central IL, landlocked from the surf. This year we didn't make our anual beach trip so I missed out on the fishing, sure missed it. Nothing better than setting at waters edge with a line in the water.

Joe

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2010 12:28AM

Joe/Rick,

Welcome to the world of obsessive compulsive disorder. I've been building rods for about 38 years and the enjoyment is still there. Take your time and be open minded and listen to these guys and ladies, they are masters of their craft. They all have opinions and preferences on components and blanks and colors....... The list goes on and on, but the one big thing we have in common is experiance, mostly through trial and error and hours of do-overs. Have fun with it and explore the endless possibilities.

Tight lines,

Date: August 10, 2010 03:01AM

Nice,

Thank you all for your inspirational greetings makes me feel much more at home, I guess I can share a bit here about myself sense you all seem to be sharing something about your obsessive compulsive disorders LOL. I am 43 Father of twin sons and a daughter both of which only have one year of school left Yeah! Anyways I am very careful about just spending my money and have done about a month of research and planning and yes ALOT of reading and instruction Vids and many opinionated websites. I am an optimist at heart so no worries there. I have not spent alot of money and jumped in blindly....My father built his own rods when I was young''en and caught my first Salmon at age 5. I am retired medically and need to find something to do with all my spare time LOL.

I decided that this would be good for me since both my brothers are avid Fisherman on the lower Columbia...have been all our lives for that matter. I plan on building rods for not just a hobby.. but also for a small income to keep a coffee can full during my winter months. I do plan to do allot of wrapping practice and finish applications on older blanks and older rods before attempting a good live blank. I am an artist as well...and well a jack of many trades from my past... so I am confident I will pick up the craft fairly quickly especially since I found a forum with such a broad spectrum of builders here...It should be a whole lot fun! Thanks again for your responses ladies and gents !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Date: August 17, 2010 05:51PM

Update,

Well My new CPW Wrapping machine arrived last weekend on Saturday. Needless to say I was stoked with excitement ! I included the Finish motor 18 RPM and the Tail Stock upgrade to go with it . I am still in the midst of building my construction area and have acquired a nice building desk/work/ bench and a file cabinet 4 drawer... for STUFF.....seems there will be allot of that as I progress with my new obsessive compulsive disorder LOL. Putting the desk together as I take a break to write this update! I will be constructing some of my other tools from RB.Org tools page when the main part of my work area is complete. Hm the garage sales have been fruitless for fishing rods and the like, but Shelly my wife sure has been chipper of late LOL ...I wonder why ? Well perhaps more later Ladies and Gents back to disorder therapy !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster