I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light weight rods
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: August 09, 2010 10:42AM

Just curious, since I have been looking at Factory numbers compared to my latest numbers. I just built two 7' Medium Heavy micro rods, both came in at 3.9oz. One was EVA gripped, with BLAG4J's Pac Bay Minima seat. The other with a Cork handle and the Fuji Titanium SiC micros at 3.5 ring size. Even converting the scale to grams, both came in at 109grams.

Better than most factory numbers. How light have some of you been able to build?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light weight rods
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: August 09, 2010 11:50AM

It is possible to build some pretty light rods depending on application, my lightest bass rods are 7 foot crankbait rods that end up weighing about 2.4oz – 68g complete.

The way to find out if you are building the lightest way possible is to weigh the finished rod and the blank, the goal is to add the least amount of weight possible and still have a reliable rod.

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 11:53AM

my first build came in at just over 2.5 oz. batson xsb783, batson micro 4's, pac bay minima casting seat, minimal cork split grip. it was also blinged out!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 09, 2010 12:28PM

Mike is right.

If you base it on total weight, you're going to get wierd numbers due to blank weights varying. I typically add 1.25oz to a 7' rod.

-----------------
AD

Date: August 09, 2010 12:32PM

Alex,

I agree, so I guess a better question is how little weight have you been able to add for a complete build.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 09, 2010 02:28PM

1.25 added is my norm on a 7' rod. I could get "lower" if I wanted - like around 1 oz - but that seems to be a good blend of weight and functionality.

A quick way to drop weight is to not use a minima. Split a Fuji ECS for another .25 oz savings. The minima seats weigh as much as full ECS.

-----------------
AD

Date: August 09, 2010 02:36PM

Alex, is the ECS a better choice to cut down than the ECSM? I was planning on using the ECSM for an MHX 7' MH blend blank.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 03:04PM

Many options available:

Ed when you refer to a "blend" blank are you talking about a graphite or glass blend. Many of the large diameter glas blend blank like the Seeker BC706 really do well with a cut down size 17.0 seat - extremely light weight.

The diameter of the blank at the placement point is really important to the choice of seat working.

This one does not require up front arbor -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The percentage of weitht removed for an existing blank exposed seat is a function of what diameter blank is involved.

The densitiy of the material the seat is made of has a lot to say.

Weight reduction in the seat area can be quite confusing to those who are only concerned by dropping the rods overall weight to the exclusion of other important issues like ergonometrics, reel stability and rod balance..

Date: August 09, 2010 03:24PM

Bill, Love that pic, when I first saw that pic long ago, that's what really sparked my interest in modding my own parts. Ergonomics are important, but I'm thinking for my own rod, I'm going to even drill holes in the trigger as you stated you did, then drill out some of the hood and take a few mm off the back end of the seat and even the hood nut. Even ditching the aluminum checks and going with rubber or none at all with eva grips.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.243.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2010 04:14PM

Check the weight of Mudhole MHX blanks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 04:33PM

Weight --- no finish on the blank - shortest guide feet possible . may be just several coats of Permagloss -- No Pretty Wraps Buy the lightest seats and guides possible ---- then weight them - too be sure

I am hearing that several suppliers have mistakes on there sites ??? So ask to be sure

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster