I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishes for wood handles and reel seats
Posted by: chad leuckel (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2010 04:07PM

NEED HELP HERE GUYS ALL RESPONCES WILL BE APPRECIATED What is the best finish to put on a turned wood pole handles or reel seat , Im looking for a high gloss finish , ive tryed light epoxy and turning them , but it keeps giveing me less then perfect results , Id like to hear what you think the best finish is for wood handles and the technique you use to apply , thanks for the help, and if any one uses epoxy can you tell me your method and do you seal the wood before you epoxy ,

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2010 08:52PM by chad leuckel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishes for wood handles and reel seats
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 07, 2010 04:41PM

Hello Chad,

There are quite a few best finishes out there, and in addition quite a few best finish application methods - depending upon who you speak with. Some are more, and some less, time consuming. I'm partial to hand rubbed applications of a fine gunstock oil-urethane blend. Others will chime in with finishes and methods they feel work best for them.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2010 04:48PM

alot of it depends on the wood used(resin content) and look you want. if you want a gloss finish or satin finish. one of my favorite finishes is the polyurethane gel by Petri, you can get it at most woodworking shops. it can be wiped on or applied on the lathe. another very durable finish is a CA/blo(superglue and boiled linseed oil). there are hundreds of ways to apply this finish and if you do an internet search you will find many. i did a seminar at the icrbe a few years back on this subject and i believe raymond adams has my notes on his tutorial site. it is by no means comprehensive, but should point you in the right direction. the rod finishes we use for our guides and wraps is not the best finish for woods or handles.

some woods from the rosewood family(cocobolo, bocote, etc) do not need a finish at all. they have such a high resin content they can be buffed out and used without finish. if a finish is desired with these types of woods then an alcohol bath is needed to remove enough resin for the finish to penetrate.

good luck
jp

Date: August 07, 2010 04:55PM

JOHN , Thanks im looking for a high gloss , how would you apply that petri on the lathe ,

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2010 04:02AM

the petri is a satin finish. it can be built up for a gloss finish with multiple applications. you can also use a straight CA finish for a gloss look. make sure you have a well ventilated area if you go with straight CA. i personally like a satin finish over a gloss. i like the natural look of the wood and feel that the gloss look can make some woods appear to have a "plastic" look. you can use a spar urethane or truoil as well to get a gloss look. they both will have a slightly amber cast to them where the CA will be very clear.

the petri is very easy to use. you do need to allow some time between coats for drying, but the application is very simple. i usually apply it while the piece is on the lathe and turning at a slow rpm. i put a small amount of the finish(it has the consistency like vaseline) on a cloth or paper towel. apply while turning and just make sure you it is smooth. it should only take a few seconds. let dry and apply next coat. continue until you get the look you want. i usually put a minimum of 2-3 coats just to make sure there is good coverage to protect my work.

i hope this helps
jp

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2010 04:47AM

I do have both John's and Jeff's wood finishing tutorials on my website.
google keywords "rodbuilding tutorials"

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 08, 2010 08:23AM

I use 1-2 coats Tru Oil to bring the grain out, then airbrush with 2 part automotive clear. Very fast with closed grain woods, 2-3 coats clear.
After the clear has cured overnight I lightly sand with 1500 to remove any contaminates that adhered to the wet clear. Waxing on the buffing wheel brings back
back the gloss. Open grain woods take a little more time than I would like with this method. Seems like a lot going on but with closed grain it takes no
time at all.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuildingforum.com]

[www.rodbuildingforum.com]

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 08, 2010 11:07AM

Lane,
Since you're already using Tru-oil for your first few coats, try wet sanding on the lathe using 600 grit wet/dry paper and Tru-oil. The slurry created by the wet sanding will help fill the pores. Allow to dry thoroughly between coats so that wet subsequent sandings don't pull the pore filler from the pores.

After pore filling, allow to dry thoroughly again then dry sand to restore the nice smooth finish prior to applying final finish coats.

Jeff

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2010 12:28PM

Or you can always try this. [www.penturners.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: August 08, 2010 06:41PM

Personally I like using a CA finish.
Using a pure CA (no BLO) you can get a beautiful high gloss finish.

Here are some examples. :)

[img.photobucket.com]

[img.photobucket.com]

[img.photobucket.com]

[img.photobucket.com]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Date: August 08, 2010 11:31PM

THANK YOU , to everyone that took the time to respond , and Dave nice work do you buff theses after you CA finish them , also if anyone has ever done a epoxy finish on wood id still like to hear your technique or any different idea's I plan on trying them all , tight lines , Chad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2010 11:32PM by chad leuckel.

Posted by: Russ Miller (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 12:32AM

I use MinWax polyurethane (gloss or satin). I sand the handle or reel seat insert up to 1500 grit then apply 3 coats of polyurethane. In between coats I use 0000 steel wool.
Hope this helps.

Russ

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 01:22PM

How about using a CA ?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2010 06:18PM

Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil is an excellent product for this.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 11, 2010 06:25AM

I second the Tru-Oil. I use a dipping method followed by polishing with Micro-Mesh:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster