I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9' blank suggestions
Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2010 04:58PM

I'm looking for a 1-piece 9-foot blank for throwing a 1-oz spoon in the surf. Will throw 3/4 oz at times, but nothing over 1 oz. Has anyone built the American Tackle SW1085, and will it fill this bill? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Bilgee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9' blank suggestions
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2010 06:13PM

Batson rainshadow SUR 1083 might get it done and give you a shot something a little heavier

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 06, 2010 09:06PM

The Rainshadow 1083 is a 2 piece, but perfect for what you want... The Rainshadow 1063 one piece is 8'10'' and will sure give you those ratings. I'd hate to have to lug a 9' rod anywhere. If you can do a two piece, you should also look at the Rainshadow BP series. They offer a 8'6" and 9'6" and they'd work as well.

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 07, 2010 12:35AM

I personally dont think the rainshadow 1083 will throw 3/4-1oz very well. The ratings say so, but the blank doesnt. I have a couple of that blank in my shop right now and you can throw up to 4 oz on it. It will throw 1oz but likes 2-2.5oz better.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 07, 2010 10:06AM

Maybe some thing here may fit ? [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 07, 2010 01:52PM

I go with Grant! One thing to consider is reel size and what type of guides and spacing used. Just a NW thought!, For what it is worth

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: August 07, 2010 04:40PM

Bil,

This is an awesome blank for this, my preference is the Viper 1085 though. The power is well suited for 3/4 oz. and up to 1oz. spoons. If your using 1 oz. and above and really loading it up, our 1087 might work better, just a thought.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2010 06:57PM

Just out of curiosity how many of you have thrown the SUR 1083? 3/4oz on that blank is just not a good Idea IMHO, you wouldnt even begin to load it. you would be much better suited with Darrin's suggestion of the 1085 whether it is the SW or Viper series. Where are you located? if your anywhere near me you can check out the 1083's I have and see for yourself

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 07, 2010 07:43PM

I just took my Viper 1085 out on the grass. It says 1/2 - 2oz. I tried: 1/2 oz; 3/4 oz; 1oz.; 1 1/2 & 2oz The "sweet spot" is somewhere between 3/4 and 1oz. I think this will work just fine for what you described.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster