I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6'6" med hvy fast action 2-piece rod
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 05, 2010 05:59PM

I am looking for a 2-piece medium heavy fast action 6'6" rod that is sturdy and can handle such lures as the rapalla 4.5" top water lure. This is for a fishing guide and will be used by his clients, hence it will probably receive heavy use. Bob at Mud Hole kindly pointed me to a couple of MHX and St. Croix options. Any other suggestions on this. Thanks.

Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6'6" med hvy fast action 2-piece rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 05, 2010 10:01PM

What line - what fish , - saltwater - fresh water How are you using it ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 05, 2010 10:46PM

10-14lb, peacock bass, freshwater, I am not using it, the guide's clients will be using it. I would guess from having fished with this person a number of times that he will be casting out lures like the rapalla top water; but he also uses rattle traps and jerk baits, all probably under 3/4oz or less. Does this help. I looked through the entire Mud Hole catalog and there were few 2-piece blanks available other than surf and fly rods.

Clinton

Date: August 06, 2010 09:31AM

When I look for a blank I always look for the lure weight that I want it to throw. I figure this is most important . If it can not throw the lure it no good to me.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 06, 2010 09:41AM

HI Bill:

I understand of course. I am just trying to locate any 2-piece rod other than surf and fly rods so I can evaluate them. I have found MHK and St. Croix. Are there any others? If not, then MHX it is.

Clinton

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 06, 2010 11:12AM

Clinton, will he be fishing south america? I don't think the peacocks in florida get anywhere near that large. However some of them over there could be twice that size.

Both amtak and baston offer heavier multi-piece rods.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 06, 2010 12:07PM

Yes, but he knows what he wants and he says that there are plenty of heavy rods at those camps in So. America. He needs something lighter with which he can throw the lighter Yozuris he throws.
I will check out your suggestions, thanks.

Clinton

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2010 01:28PM

You might have to cut down a 7' rod to get what he wants. It will be uneven in length but you will have an easier time finding the heavier line weights that will still toss lighter baits.

Date: August 07, 2010 08:38AM

Hi Ken:

I am not sure what you mean by "uneven." If I cut 6" off the rod, the overall length becomes 6'6", right? How is this uneven? Thanks. Clinton

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 07, 2010 09:06AM

The section you cut will be 6" shorter than the remaining piece. You could cut 3" from either end (butt / tip) but removing the 3:" from the tip may spoil the responsiveness ("fast tip response") of the rod and change the lure weight. Therefore I would recommend removing the full 6" from the butt of the rod.

Date: August 07, 2010 09:17AM

Got it now, Ken. Thanks. Clinton

Date: August 07, 2010 10:57AM

You could also if you can find a 6' 2 pc and add 6" to the butt This will also keep it a fast action.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 07, 2010 11:17AM

Good thought....thanks. Clinton

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 09, 2010 10:09AM

If storage size is the issue than Batson has a bunch of 3 piece travel blanks in 6 1/2' and longer that should fit the bill.

Date: August 09, 2010 12:15PM

Thanks Spencer:

He is looking for a two piece set up, although 3 piece would be smaller and easy to carry. Since he is the leader of these Amazon trips, I suspect he is taking a lot of gear for himself and others and just wants something that will fit into a tube shorter than 62", thus avoiding an additional $125 charge. There may be more than one rod being put into these tubes.

Clinton

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster