I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2010 07:17PM

Okay, by tomorrow morning many will learn that Gudebrod has laid off all their workers while they attempt to find financial backing that will allow them to continue their operation. I hesitated to post this but I know how rumors tend to get out of hand and bad information gets spread around. Rather than have posts stating they're out of business or have filed for bankruptcy, I wanted to publish the actual facts as they are currently known.

Gudebrod is not out of business. At least not yet. Company management says they feel they are close to getting new backing and plan to call back all their workers as soon as possible. I won't speculate on whether or not that will actually happen. All I have to go on is their press release concerning the matter.

In the meantime, there are several sponsors here offering quality thread - American Tackle has just released their new ProWrap thread series. RodDancer/FishHawk has a full selection of colors and sizes and Pacific Bay has a line that matches Gudebrod almost color for color.

Bottom line - quality rod wrapping thread is still available.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod
Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: August 03, 2010 08:55PM

I'll never be able to choose from all of Am Taks colors. Thats a lot of choices.

Mike
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 04, 2010 09:49AM

Whatever the reason, it's a sad day to see the company in this situation. I have been using Gudebrod thread longer than many of the people on this board have been using air. It's like watching an old friend struggling with an illness that may or may not be terminal.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: August 04, 2010 11:11AM

Gary,
I agree with you> it hurts my heart to see a staple in the industry struggle. I have been using, as my father before me: Gudebrod products for a very long time. I will keep them in my prayers and hope they can make a full recovery.
Bill Batson>>

Posted by: Rich Kline (---.com)
Date: August 04, 2010 12:03PM

I have been using Gudebrod what seems like forever, I hope they can re-group and not go out like Holland thread.

Rich Kline CR

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 04, 2010 12:25PM

Hi,

A sad happening. I feel for all the people who will lose their livelihood. My dealings with the folks at Gudebrod have always been excellent. I hope they can come back and be a force in our industry.

I have been preparing for this for awhile, the possible loss of Gudebrod thread. The problem as I see is that many of us use the Gudebrod Pro size spool. Other than National Thread I do not see Pro size spools available in the other companies product line. 1 oz spools are just too small, great for for folks who build a couple rods a year.

I also use 4 oz spools of black. How many of the other companies supply that?

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: August 04, 2010 02:04PM

Sad news indeed. Gudebrod has been a personal favorite of mine for more then 25 years. In the beginning I had to get used to not using all the Holland thread I still had but once I started, I never found anything else to compare to Gudebrod, until now. American Tackle has offered thread in the past but nothing even close to this new ProWrap program. The quality is outstanding and it’s most comprehensive thread line I’ve seen yet. In my opinion it’s the only thread that not only rivals Gudebrod but surpasses it with excellent wrapping workability, finish application and offering an amazing range of colors. It’s my new favorite, hope you’ll give it a chance to be yours.

Capt Neil,

American Tackle's new ProWrap thread program features three spool sizes - small, medium and large - or as Gudebrod called them, 100yd, 1oz and 4 oz. 80 colors will be available in sizes A and D in regular nylon and our Color Fast (No Color Preserver Required) in both the small and medium spools. A select number of colors in the large spools will be available (and yes black will be one of the colors).

Read more about the ATC ProWrap threads on our web site at:
[americantackle.us]

Or place and order today with one of our dealers (dealers will be stocking this thread the week of Aug 23).
[americantackle.us]

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Re: Pro wrap program
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 04, 2010 02:21PM

Hi Darrin,

Thank you for the info on your new program. I am sure that it will be a success.

Am about to leave for a fishing trip. I will check the info later.

Thank you.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2010 02:28PM

mike brune Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll never be able to choose from all of Am Taks
> colors. Thats a lot of choices.
>
> Mike
> Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Hi Mike,

A new simpler version of our color chart was just posted on our site @ [www.americantackle.us] This shows the 80 or so colors we will stock as of August 15th. This may expand or contract we shall see how it goes. This narrows your choices which will be a relief to our distributors. The feedback has been outstanding regarding the quality. We are anxious to get it out to our customers.

The original color chart was meant for OEM's who can special order any of the colors listed and wait 60 days for arrival.

Paul Black @ Gudebrod is one of the nicest people in the industry. I hope he and all the employees at Gudebrod find work if they decide to close. My Dad rep'd them in the old days. They had a fantastic run. Joe Meehan, American Tackle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 02:44PM by Joe Meehan.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: August 04, 2010 02:43PM

Like I said I hope and pray Gudebrod makes it>> I and my company will stick with them until the time comes when the owner calls me and says its over. We have been doing our homework and looking at the thread market for some time now, as it is our job to provide service to this great industry.
When the time comes Batson will make a decision on which way to go with Thread. Thread is an important part of the industry and we will not shy away from it, we will have something when the time comes. We have been receiving shipments of Gudebrod and I have been in personal contact with the owner.
More to come later>>

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com
877-875-2381

Posted by: Rich Kline (---.com)
Date: August 04, 2010 03:06PM

Bill:
Thanks for the update please keep us informed, whatever the outcome.

Rich Kline CR

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: August 04, 2010 03:37PM

It has been quite a rollercoaster lately when it comes to thread. We are analyzing our thread stock frequently and will continue to do what is necessary to keep all of our thread colors and sizes in stock and keep you all building rods. Currently there are only a few thread items on back order (black is not one of them) and we have an enormous shipment inbound that will increase our already expanded inventory. Our thread is beautiful, production proven, and is probably on some of the factory rods you already own. We're confident that if you try a spool you'll make PacBay your new brand.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: August 05, 2010 10:49AM

Sorry for the late post, just got back in town. FishHawk thread has been around for many years and is also a staple in the industry. We have many builders around the world and also several OEM's using our thread. I too used Gudebrod thread for many years and also back in the late 70's when I first started wrapping rods, as with everyone else it was the go to product. I wish them the best of luck.

We invite anyone to try our thread from one of our many dealers around the globe, we are sure you will be very happy you did.
Thanks for your support
Scott

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Barry Kneller (204.152.215.---)
Date: August 05, 2010 04:18PM

The popular @#$%& site is a good place to find Gudebrod threads. There is no shortage of it there!

Posted by: Barry Kneller (204.152.215.---)
Date: August 05, 2010 04:18PM

The popular @#$%& site is a good place to find Gudebrod threads. There is no shortage of it there!

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.217.115.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 05, 2010 05:37PM

All the US textile manfacturers have been under fire the last decade.
It's a shame another has to feel the pinch of unfair competition. NAFTA opened the door.
Are any of the other rod building threads still produced in the US ???

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Robbie Smith (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2010 10:35PM

FishHawk offers nylon thread made, dyed, twisted, and wound in the US (The Carolina`s). This has been the case for almost 14 years. NAFTA has impacted the embroidery and finished goods market but not the rod building thread market. 80% of of the rod building thread market is black thread. It is very difficult for any dedicated rod market thread producer to effectively supply the custom market with different colors, materials, and put ups. The likes of Billy V, Doc Ski, Mark Fisher, The NERBS, and you all keep the thread guys curious and interested in bringing unique materials to this market. You all create the pulse beat of the market. In this light, I urge you all to support those who provide you with a consistent supply and innovative materials.

Posted by: William LeGrande III (---.129.216.66.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 18, 2010 04:01PM

From the Owner of Gudebrod Threads,

Gudebrod threads are still being produced by the the owners of Gudebrod Inc. The company itself had a lot of issues coming from the medical and industrial side. Rod building threads will STILL be produced 100% in the USA the same way it has for 140 years. We also will be making the HT Metallic threads in the USA just as before.

We will be carrying the HT, nylon, NCP, and back by demand TRIMAR.

Thank you for years of support and future business,

William LeGrande III
Gudebrod

Posted by: Tom Wicker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 21, 2010 04:20PM

Bill Batson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like I said I hope and pray Gudebrod makes it>> I
> and my company will stick with them until the time
> comes when the owner calls me and says its over.
> We have been doing our homework and looking at the
> thread market for some time now, as it is our job
> to provide service to this great industry.
> When the time comes Batson will make a decision on
> which way to go with Thread. Thread is an
> important part of the industry and we will not shy
> away from it, we will have something when the time
> comes. We have been receiving shipments of
> Gudebrod and I have been in personal contact with
> the owner.
> More to come later>>
>
> Bill Batson
> CEO
> Batson Enterprises
> Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
> www.batsonenterprises.com
> batson@batsonenterprises.com
> 877-875-2381

Bill I look forward to Batson keeping us updated. I for one don't like changes when I find a product I trust. I will be keeping a close eye on the Batson news letters I recieve. And also I do enjoy reading them thanks

Gulf Shores AL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster