I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First butt wrap so I have questions
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 03, 2010 08:27AM

I obtained some help and now it is time for me to give my first butt wrap a try. I find I am having a hard time trying to visualize what the finished wrap will look like. I’m seeking suggestions on thread color choices, how many axis to wrap on, and open versus closed warps. Keep in mind I’m a beginner at this.

Perhaps it is best I provide some information. The wrap will have to be fairly short. I have about seven, maybe 8, inches maximum to work with. The circumference of the blank is 56 mm at the midpoint. The taper is slow enough I don’t think I need to worry about any offset spacing. I will go with a diamond, or chevron, to start with. The rod is already built and my guide wraps are as follows:

I have a gold metallic under wrap which extends past the guide wrap so appears as a trim band at the extreme ends. The under wrap has a 3 turn black inlay in the middle The guide wrap (from outside in) is a 3 turn white band, 3 turn purple band, 3 turn black band, then purple up the guide foot. In the middle of the guide foot I introduced a black thread as a 5 turn spiral inlay along with the purple. The white is NCP A, the black and purple are regular D and the gold metallic is A. No CP was used. Blank color is natural graphite.

My questions are what color choices and pattern would you guys suggest? I don’t know if I should start with my darkest color and go lighter as I work out or the other way around. I don’t know if I should put down an under wrap first, perhaps the gold, and then wrap over that. I’d rather go with “understated elegance” than gaudy. I could see something like 6 strands of black, maybe bracket that with a single gold, six strands of purple on each side of that, bracket with a single gold, six strands of white on each side of that bracketed with gold. At that point would I keep on repeating that pattern or stop? If I were to stop and wanted to close it in I’d think my diamonds would be rather small. Should I consider four axis at that point or use 12 strands rather than 6?

Any and all help is appreciated. I don’t mind spending a lot of time on it but I’m not the type that enjoys wrapping only to cut it all off under the guise of experimentation and learning. Call me lazy:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First butt wrap so I have questions
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2010 10:13AM

Threads layed on top of other threads are not as easily moved around so I often suggest not to use an underwrap. Besides, it sounds like your primary color on your guides is purple and gold and a gold underwrap on the butt wrap with stand out like a stop sign unless you cover an awefull lot of it.

If you keep the purple primary (more of it) in the butt wrap you keep the balance. Not to say you have to but...I would try & stay with the same color ratio that's already present on the guides. Guide wraps are purple so the tie-off wraps should be purple.

Double wraps look better than single especially in a short wrap.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 03, 2010 02:21PM

Thanks Ray. When I use underwraps I coat them first so it is easy to wrap and move over them. I also thought it would make it easy to scribe layout marks. But yes, a gold underwrap would be rather loud:) I'll go with a double wrap. I think I can figure out how to lay that out.

I suppose I'm just going to have to play around and get the hang of it. Just isn't my style. I guess that is because I do a lot of electrical work. Playing around to figure things out leads to a lot of burnt up stuff and possible fire and injury.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2010 02:34PM

When I do a "simple open" double cross-wraps I only mark the crossing point for a single wrap. I wrap the single then wrap the double by wrapping down the middle between the centers of the single. Then I straighten up the centers and put them all at 1/2 the circumference spacing from each other. Marking all the centers before starting the wrap just don't seem necessary most of the time.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster