I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Float rod blank help...
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: August 02, 2010 02:40PM

I am looking to build another centerpin rod and am looking at some blanks that I have not used before and was hoping that some of you have.

Looking for a Great Lakes Steelhead rod 13' 2-3pc 4-8lb mod-fast action with quick recovery. Something in the feel of a GLX or slightly slower. I would like a light rod with some backbone for longer hook sets but not something that will 'over power' an 8-10 lb fish. I also fish 4lb tippit so the tip must be softer with some flex to protect the tippit on surges and head shakes.
I am looking at a few possiblities that I have not felt so a little help would be great if you have used them in the past.

CTS Affinity float FF1363-3
Talon 13' 2pc 4-8lb
Raven IM9

Any thoughts would help thanks,

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Float rod blank help...
Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: August 02, 2010 03:04PM

Hi Eric,
We did a blank a few years back that may be just what your looking for. The item is T2SH1561-3. Give it a try.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Ron Zunic (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2010 08:25PM

Hi Eric
You may want to look at Batson's Rainshadow XST High Modulous Blanks, I've built both float and spinning rods using the 13 ft. 2 pc. blank. I think you may like this blank if you are looking for something light in the 6-10 lb. range. It's very light ,sensitive and powerful enough to land chrome, and it's straight from the butt to tip top. The 2 pc. can easily handle a 4 lb. tippet. They do make a 13 ft. in 3 pc. also and this is in the 6 to 10 lb. range. New for 2010 they also have 11-1/2 ft now these are in 6-10 lb. range and 8-12 lb. range both in 2 pc.. I think these blanks look good with any thread color you may like.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 09:20PM

Thanks, I have a Batson XST 1562-3 and it is a GREAT rod but a little heavy for this application. I am looking for something in the 4-8lb range. I am looking at the St Croix Avid blank now. A buddy of mine who likes the same type rod said that he has one for me to look at and seems to like it himself. Although I would like to hear from somebody who has fished the Talon and CTS blanks.

Thanks

Posted by: Frank S Raffa (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 04, 2010 03:00PM

The Batson XST 1562 (the 13' 2 piece) is completely different from the 3 piece XST 1562-3. Compare the specs on the two. Quite a bit of difference. I just built one ( the two piece) for Great Lakes Steelhead and it is the finest rod I have ever built. It casts like a dream and it is so light I can fish it all day without the least bit of fatigue. It is similar to the new Loomis Steelhead Rods and as a matter of fact I like the Batson Blank better. Rember I am talking about the two piece model. I am currently building one for my Guide who saw it and loves it and as soon as his is finished I am building another one for myself. I also fish it for trout and have an absolute balst. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster