I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Magnifying lens
Posted by: Larry Allen (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 10:06AM

I didn't take long for me to realize I needed some help" seeing" when wrapping some of the more complicated wraps. Would love to hear from people that have run into this problem and what type of magnifying lens you used. Something you wear or something that is table mounted. Any info would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Magnifying lens
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 10:08AM

Since having Lasik, I just use the magnifying glasses like from Walgreens. I have a couple of different powers based on what I am trying to do.

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2010 10:20AM

I use 2.5x reading glasses for most of it, and I also have a lamp with the built in magnifier that mounts to my bench and has the long folding arm. Its in this photo on the left of my bench.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Ed Long (---.ellijay.com)
Date: August 02, 2010 10:27AM

I started using one of the table clamp on lamp type magnifiers with a regular bulb for fly tying .Recently, I picked one up at a yard sale in front of a dentists office that has a circular florescent bulb around the glass that is nice. It had a minor switch problem that was no big deal. The spring loaded arms make it easy to position and the extra light is great too.This type works best for me but your mileage may vary.

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2010 10:31AM

Yup that's exactly what mine is too. I forgot to mention the light bulb :)

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: August 02, 2010 10:42AM

I drilled a hole in the rear center of my workbench (10' 4" long) and mounted a Ledu Fluorescent Magnifying Light. It has a 22W ring light surrounding a 5" 3X diopter lens on a 42" adjustable arm that will bend, swivel and angle however I prefer. I can reach the center seven feet of my bench, everything but the ends. This gives you the TWO things needed for a better image - multiplication and light. My cost in the door was around $80.00.

What I like about this setup ... 1) moving the light/lens completely out of my way; 2) moving the light generally above my work area without using the lens; 3) using the lens AND the light directly over my workpiece. IMO, it works much better than glasses. The 3X diopter will REALLY let you see the thread and anything else you need to dial in to perfection.

Jim -

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 12:04PM

Larry,
I have tried everything mentioned in the posts above and have stopped using any of them.

Rather, I use the type magnifier that you wear on your head, that is a few inches from your eyes.

The reason for using such a magnifier, is that you have a longer focal length when using this type magnifier. i.e. you have a focal length that is at a comfortable working distance from your face.

If you use simple reading glassess - i.e. 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, or 3.0 power magnifiers, you end up with progressivly shorter and shorter foacal lengths.
By the time that you get to a 3.0 power simple magnifying set of reading glassess, you end up with a focal length of only a few inches. This means that you really have to hunch down over your work for your eyes to be in focus with your work.

I no longer use the table or lamp mounted magnifier, because it seemed that the magnifier was always getting in the way. Then, for the case of the light lit magnifier, the edge of the light was always in the way.

All of these methods will work to magnify your work, but I find that they tend to either give me focal distance issues, or the nagnifiers themselves interfere with the work.

Here is an example of the stye magnifiers that I like to use:

[www.debspecs.com]

[www.thefind.com]

-----------------
Another much more expensive option is to go the double optics route that is used by your dentist and doctor for close up intense work.
The reason that these eye pieces are so mch more expensive is that they are precision optics that use multiple lens - much as is the case for binoculars.

[www.garrettwade.com]

[www.opticsplanet.net]

[www.amazon.com]

------------------------
[www.care-optics.com]

Here is a good article on the design and use of dental grade optics and reasons for why they are so expensive:

[www.dimensionsofdentalhygiene.com]

Take care
REW

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: August 02, 2010 03:09PM

if you dont mind wearing a cap you you can use what is called a flip focal. it for tying flys on small tippets

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 03:19PM

I tried all of the above as well. I already wear bi-focals. They are the large shooting glass type lens. I finally settled on a clip on maginfying lens. These are hinged so they flip up out of the way, and have a fairly long drop down on the lens. With this set up, I have my regular power lens at the top, then 3 power from the magnifying lens, then 5 power with the lens and my bi-focal, and finally 2 power at the bottom. Once I got use to wearing these, I noticed that I automatically changed from one lens to the other, and didn't get the eye strain that I use to have working under a magnifying glass. Unfortunatly, the company that I bought these glasses from has changed the design, and no longer offer the ones with the long drop down.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: August 02, 2010 06:35PM

I use the same clip on as Mr. Bradford.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 07:03PM

Mark:

It is just Mike. Mr. Bradford was my Dad.

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.153.8.12.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 08:04PM

Ihave at least a half dozen from real cheap to $200.Mudhole has 1 for $19.95 that comes with 4 lenses 1.2-3.5 and I end up with it on my head about 90% of the time.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 09:30PM

optivisor used here!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 03, 2010 02:49PM

I have a severe eye problems that in time will get worse and have used all the above with some success. I now have a book reader table style. It is a large screen that looks like a computer monitor. You put a book under, It has an adjustable magnifier. The screen size is about 19 inches diag. I place my blank underneath and do my thing I got mine from a opic company. It is not cheep. It would take a few sold rods to pay for it But my wife says I am worth it

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: August 04, 2010 04:17AM

Larry,

Try one of these:

Item #95890 for $9.00

Item #38896 for $6.00

at this link:

[www.harborfreight.com]

Rena

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 04, 2010 11:52AM

If you have standard eyes any of the fore mentioned magnifyers

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster