I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning Cork Handles with Wood End Caps
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2010 03:21PM

When turning a a cork handle with two wooden pieces as end caps, should I glue the wood pieces on the handle and turn all together?

Or, should I shape the two end pieces first, glue to the handle and shape the cork part with rasps, sandpaper, etc. as always? I am concerned about tearing up the cork which requires a lot of sanding.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning Cork Handles with Wood End Caps
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2010 03:44PM

Tony,

I glue it all up together and if I've got square pieces of wood (both inside and caps), I round them on a belt sander to just larger than the cork rings before I put it in the lathe. Terry Henson trick... I've also cut a lot of burl slabs of different thicknesses with a 1/4" pilot hole saw, then used a Flex Coat pilot drill to bore them to the mandrel size. Either way, I just like the wood to be "round" before I take the lather tools to it because it doesn't shatter or break like a thin piece of hardwood can when roughing it on the lathe. The only real "tooling" that I do is shaping the ends. The rest of the shaping is pretty much different grits of sand paper.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2010 09:12PM

Tony,
What every method that you use, be sure to use a backing board on the sandpaper if you do the finish of the cork and wood at the same time.
Since the cork is much softer, the cork will sand away before the wood, if a backing plate is not being used.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 10:06AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: August 01, 2010 09:44PM

I turn my butt caps separately, and then slip the butt cap and cork blank on my mandrel and sand down the cork.
I don't attach them together until I am mounting on the rod.
The reason for this is because I put my finish on the cap before assembly. It is also much easier to mount pins/coins in the butt cap this way.
For accent wood and wood rings I glue it all up and turn.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2010 12:42AM

tony i glue then up and turn them all together. you just have to be careful at the transition as when you sand the cork will go much quicker than the wood. you want to turn the wood very close to final dimension so you dont have to sand too much. you may need to use a slock to assist in your sanding.

Date: August 02, 2010 08:56AM

All -

Thanks for your replies.

Please do tell - what is...

Baking Board?
Slock?

Thanks,

Tony

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 09:42AM

get a small piece of wood and wrap sandpaper on it. When sanding the wood and cork Helps to keep them both level.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 09:42AM by bill boettcher.

Date: August 02, 2010 09:55AM

Thanks, Bill. After more coffee, I realized he meant to write "backing board"

Tony

Date: August 02, 2010 10:07AM

Yep caffeine does help the thinking process.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 10:12AM

Tony,
Yes I did mean Bacing board.

But after i thought about it a bit, I do think that a BAKING board would also work pretty well.

If you haven't tried it before - on a different subject - use CLAY baking boards or Stoneware - for your baking chores.

My wife and I have switched to the use of Stone cook ware for virtually all of our baking needs over the last few years.

Stone breathes in contrast to metal or other types of bake ware.

As a result, the results of baking are much much more uniform. You virtually never burn the bottom of anything that you are cooking. Every thing has a nice even color and textrue from the bottom to the top of the item.

The folks from years ago over the face of the world that simply put their baked products on stones in ovens or the bakers that baked bread over the years in brick ovens have it right.

Bake on stone and your baked products are much more even and tasty.

-----------

So, if you wanted to wrap a piece of sand paper in a piece of stone bakeware for a nice even job of sanding, it would work just as well as if the sand paper were wrapped on a piece of wood, stick, a piece of metal or any other flat uniform item to keep the item being sanded level.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2010 02:25PM

tony i meant to type block not slock. sometimes my typing gets interesting. it is challenging to type without the end of my forefinger. it was also late and i had a cookout last night so i was alittle fuzzy.

Date: August 02, 2010 02:29PM

All good, man. Thanks for the clarification.

You did mention losing the end of your finger. Holy crap, you were not kidding!

Date: August 02, 2010 03:58PM

Hay John That is called a Hang Over. LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster