I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light colored threads and bleed-through
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 02:49PM

On light colored threads, when used over a black rod blank or over a darker underwrap, generally some of the underlying color comes through the lighter color thread, this affecting its color. Also, when used over a black line guide foot, the foot is generally visible, even if only ever so slightly. Is there a solid solution to this, such as using heavier thread rather than A thread? Thanks for any and all comments.

Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light colored threads and bleed-through
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 02:55PM

regular nylon thread will show any thing under it unless you put at lest two good coats of color preserver on first.

Are you using regular nylon ?? Even with NCP which is No Color Preserver required should have a good coat over it.

What type of thread are you using ????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 30, 2010 03:53PM

What I am fussing about at the moment is PacBay Rose color A thread (True Color [NCP]). I'll give the CP a try...should work. I'm assuming this is nylon.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 04:01PM

You should not get any see though with an NCP thread. It is said to hold it's color.

But I always put CP on it even if told I do not need it . Butt since I use CP i always use Regular Nylon. The colors come out looking a lot nicer. NCP thread to me looks - Flat -

Stuff happens ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2010 04:21PM

Two things will help - larger thread, and/or making sure the threads are tightly packed against each other.

Of course there is a third option - the use of NCP thread.

Date: July 30, 2010 04:25PM

Hi Tom: This raises another question I have had. Is NCP a type of thread, so that true color is the same as NCP, or is it product made by Gudebrod or some other manufacturer. Getting Gudebrod threads these days is difficult, sometimes.

Clinton

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 04:28PM

even if you put 5 coats of color preserver on your wraps you'll still get bleed through if you don't pack your threads tight enough. Any small gaps in your thread and your underwrap, guide foot or the blank will show through. Make sure you pack them tight.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 05:24PM

Swampland Tackle Lance Dupre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> even if you put 5 coats of color preserver on your
> wraps you'll still get bleed through if you don't
> pack your threads tight enough. Any small gaps in
> your thread and your underwrap, guide foot or the
> blank will show through. Make sure you pack them
> tight.

That's a fact! So much so that most times there is a bleed through issue if one looks very close with
magnification one will see those tiny gaps that the naked eye misses.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 30, 2010 06:14PM

Other manufacturers offer an NCP thread, Fish Hawk is Color Lok, Pac Bay is Stay Tru. There others, but that should get you a pretty good start.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2010 08:52PM

NCP is an opaque thread which means it won't go semi-transparent when you wet it. Regular nylon turns dark or semi-transparent when you wet it, just like if you spilled something on your shirt. CP seals it and prevents that from happening.

But putting a dark color over a light color always entails some lose in shade. That's the nature of the beast and CP isn't going to perform miracles.

Larger thread, tighter packing or NCP are the keys here.

Just remember that NCP looks more like paint - it doesn't have the subtle sparkle that regular nylon does.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 10:25PM

A good test is to wet the thread (or wrap) with alcohol. This is approximately the same color change that will occur with epoxy. Make SURE all of the alcohol has evaporated before finishing. I think vaggie or mineral oil works even better to see the effect but obviously you don't want to epoxy over that. Use a test wrap.

Posted by: Mike Winkler (24.164.247.---)
Date: July 30, 2010 10:39PM

Like said above, pack it tight!

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2010 02:55AM

I just did a practise on a rod I had broken, It was a 3 inch wrap with white NCP. I put two coats of cp on top, then some TM lite, It looked very good. As they say, ``Pack, Pack, Pack.``

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 31, 2010 03:34AM

Rose over a black blank shouldn't be too problematic. If you want to put white over a black blank you might wish to consider painting that section of the blank white first.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 01, 2010 03:05PM

I always pack tight. What was not mentioned was burnishing, Burnishing will flatten the thread and make it more compact. I like 00, A or B thread when wrapping guides. I hate the bulk look on wraps

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster