I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt Cap for Foam Carbon Fiber Grips
Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 01:22PM

I have been recently trying to make foam carbon fiber grips. So far I have made about 3 that are OK. There is definitely a learning curve there.

I wanted to do a split grip, and think I have a design for the front part. The rear grip at the end of the blank is throwing me. I cannot get enough of a tenon for a foam butt cap to fit well.

I recently made a rear grip that is flat on the end rather than a tenon.

I bought a plastic bon-bon candy mold from Jo-Anne's craft and poured my leftover epoxy in one of the molds. I tinted the epoxy black with some Testors paint pigment. Aside from having to cut it out, it may work. Probably if I had some of the release agent, it would work better.

Any advice or leads as to other flat butt caps that have been successfully used would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bert Nagy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt Cap for Foam Carbon Fiber Grips
Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: July 29, 2010 01:44PM

Well if I understand what you are asking for. I took a cork fighting butt with a flat piece of EVA attached and chucked it up in my lathe by putting it on the end of a mandrel and turned the cork down to just fit inside a Tennessee handle tube. Then I turned down the EVA portion to the same diameter of the Tennessee tube. I can't see why this would not work for your Carbon Fiber issue. Maybe cut a short piece of Tennessee handle to go inside the carbon fiber and then once it is installed turn the fighting but down to close the end leaving the exposed EVA portion as the but cap. I got the fighting butt from Mud Hole part number FBCC-6 Cork/EVA Foam Fighting Butt. Their CRB Handle System Butt Cap may work also.

I hope I'm on the same page with you; however I will say I have never dealt with carbon fiber.

Gabe

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 02:06PM

Here's what I have been doing with a Mud Hole CRB handle part rubber butt cap.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Chuck

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: July 29, 2010 02:17PM

Man I have got to start using carbon fiber. Nice work Chuck!!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 29, 2010 02:39PM

consider trying a locking rigid plastic plug... ream your butt piece, measure the hole, use the matching diameter plug. Works best if your butt piece is flat on the end.

[www.mcmaster.com]

you can buy them in bulk on the link or a couple for a $1 or so from Lowe's/Home Depot.

You can also buy something similar for attaching car door panel plugs, etc but you may have to arbor those if the blank is too large

[www.eurotruck-importers.com] (these have a hole in them but you can find them solid and in about any color)

The nice thing about these plugs (which I also use the mudhole plugs like Chuck does) is these are smooth so they don't grip clothes, available in all different sizes, and easy to get locally.

You can also use the mudhole aluminum ring and rubber piece on the end of carbon grip for some bling. Make you butt the same diameter as the ring and epoxy it on. Looks really sharp.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 02:43PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Date: July 29, 2010 02:40PM

Thanks Gabe. It's really not too tough at all. There is a bit of a learning curve though. I just started finishing with Permagloss as per the latest Rodmaker and it is much easier for me than spraying Helmsman.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 02:55PM

You can also go to say Pep Boys and pick up - Interior panel plugs. Round tops with different sizes for whatever blank or hole you need.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-183-58.myvzw.com)
Date: July 29, 2010 02:59PM

chuck do you do the dry lay up with shrink tube or are you doing the 5 min epoxy wet layup. I have been doing the dry and shrink ptube method but can not seem to get the ends as nice as I'd like. I think I'm going to try the other method next. That split grip looks great by the way. Is that gudebrod garnet in that pic? I just picked up that same reel and I'm going to set it up on a batson xsb822.5 I really like that color scheme you have there

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 29, 2010 03:17PM

use wire ties to get your ends right.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: July 29, 2010 03:57PM

You can also get the interior panel plugs that are sized just right to fit into the threaded insert for a balance kit. I use these if I have a rod with the insert installed and I don’t want the weight of the screw in bumper, if you later decide to add the balance weights you just remove the plastic plug.

I have recently done some rods with carbon handles and this but cap system [www.mudhole.com] they look great, a less expensive alternative is the American Tackle rubber plug [www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2010 05:20PM

Phil;
I could be mistaken, but I don’t think there is a “5minute epoxy wet lay-up method.
Nor would I suggest using 5minute epoxy.

Date: July 29, 2010 10:37PM

I layup dry, coat with West epoxy, then shrink tube. I use cable ties to snug ends while the shrink tube is warm.

Yes, Gudebrod garnet with CP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 10:38PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-157-178.myvzw.com)
Date: July 30, 2010 05:08PM

Steve maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. I thought that the original article talked about coating the core with 5 min epoxy then installing the sleeve tucking the ends and then smoothing with gloved hands. They then went back and coated with the west systems epoxy and then sanded and finished. Ill have to reread it. Anyway I have been using cable ties to hold he sleeve to the mandrel but didn't know about putting a cable tie over the heat shrink ends. Ill try that

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2010 07:17PM

Phil;
Just reread the article and it says to “use a quick curing epoxy" to cover the grip before putting carbon over it.

So you are correct.
That could most definitely be intrepided as 5 minute epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster