I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Does this product exist
Posted by: Vince Nadosky (---.jonathanscott.com)
Date: July 29, 2010 09:38AM

I am not sure If I truly seen this product or it was a dream I had or not.

What I remeber about it was that it was a clear coating that could be put over the blank ot wraps that in the daytime was perfectly clear but when it got dark it actually glowed and could be seen in the dark of night.

So it worked similar to the glow tape you can get but it was a clear liqyuid during the light.

If I dreamed this let me know if this is a real product I had seen somewhere I would appreciate someone directing me to this.

Vince Nadosky
VinMor Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does this product exist
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 09:57AM

I bowled at a lane that had glow in the dark clear coat, but the gentleman I talked to said the effect didn't last long and had to be augmented with black lights to keep a consistent blue glow. Benjamin Moore makes a product that lasts about 20 minutes also unassisted. The thicker the finish the longer either works I was told. The bowling alley finish I think was a Plexcoat moisture cure urethane finish, and it only came in large quantities.

Date: July 29, 2010 10:47AM

I believe the stuff at the bowling alley was a product from brunswick and it is actually incorporated in the oil. It was used at one of the houses I bowled at but it's carry down was horrible so got rid of it quick.

I am looking for something that will store the energy of light and release the glow after dark. No assistance from Black Lights

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 12:27PM

Vince,
What you are describing is called luminescence. Phosphorescence and fluorescence are common examples. In these processes light is absorbed by some compound in the finish and is re-emitted at some later time. This time can be less than a thousandth of a second to as long as nearly 300 hours. In most cases the time interval is quite small. There are also biological examples such as phosphorescence in the ocean caused by microorganisms and fireflies.
The problem is that once the light has been remitted, nor further emission will occur until the compounds have be stimulated again. We are all familiar with halloween skeletons that glow for a period of time and then become dormant until they are exposed to light again. This is just another example

When Fuji was still using those greenish shock rings on their guides, they would glow for a period of time, but would then become dark until they had been exposed to light again. I don't think it is possible to have a finish that will glow continuously without being exposed to light at the same time.

Mike Blomme

Date: July 29, 2010 12:34PM

I know they need "recharged" I was looking for a coating that would do that. If there is not a coating that can do that I can always use the glow tape and just coat over it.

The purpose is the rod orders i have now are for lake and river fisherman that are using large surf poles for catfishing. sometimes they place there poles scattered and may be 20-30 feet from them. Lanterns are frowned upon at the local lakes. So if you have you pole 30 feet away and the float goes down or clicker starts to run it can sometimes be tough in the black of night to find where on the bank your pole was sitting. This was just a request and I didn't guarantee I could find anything to perfom this task.

The blanks will be a solid yellow color as all 4 of these are to be Pittsburgh Steeler Themed rods.

Vince Nadosky

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 01:05PM

Vince,
There is a better solution to your problem.
One of the builders in Idaho builds these blanks.
I believes that he gets them from a blank maker in California.
They are hollow glass blanks.
He puts an led light in the butt of the rod along with a setup for a couple of batteries.
Tighten down the butt cap and turn on the light. Loosen the butt cap and turn off the light.

At any rate - in use the led light turns on, and the led light shines down the rod and at various points on the rod, it is illuminated.

But, when you get a bite, the rod bends and flex and the light begans to dance up and down the rod.

Very easy to see, very visible, but not obtrusive.

If you like, I will see if I can find the builder for you and get back to you.

--
I traded some equipement for a blank and I built up a rod that I use for both cat fishing as well as sturgon fishing. It is the perfect blank ,and the night time light is a wonderful addition to the rod.

Roger

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 05:59PM

Vince unhide your email or email me junkmansj@yahoo.com

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 07:22PM

Roger,

I am interested in that light up rod. Can you get me some more information please?

Thanks!

Date: July 29, 2010 10:54PM

[breakawayusa.com] also come in blue and green. I use blue and red for different rods at night on the beach

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 11:54PM

Roger, I think I have seen a website for rods like you are talking about. Something like wylierods or wyliesrods They have an led inside the blank that lights it up.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 12:06AM

Check this out :: [wylie_rods.tripod.com] AND [www.wylierods.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.ldcz2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 30, 2010 03:46AM

I noticed an English site for match rods that offers a tritium viral wrapped into the rod tip, your looking at about ten dollars for ten years of glow,it's something I'm considering for my next surf rod. .

Date: July 30, 2010 05:23AM

charles; can you send that site to me,I would like to look at it

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 06:42AM

Roger,

i would like that info also if you do not mind. My e-mail is not hidden

Thanks,

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: July 30, 2010 08:16AM

email address nadosky@yahoo.com

Posted by: Randall Wilinski (---.Library.eiNetwork.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 11:38AM

Vince,

I believe the product you are looking for does exist. Ken Preston put me onto the product. It comes from a company who distributes it in Canada. It is a crystal type of pigment that is added to your clear epoxy to add glow in the dark pigments to the wrapping finish. It comes in colors, and I'm going to be building that glow in the dark Steelers rod too. I want to be able to wave that rod in the twilight hours and see where I'm walking along that path in the woods! ;-) The product glows about ten times brighter and lasts about ten times longer than the stuff we used to see as kids on toys. You can ask Ken Preston for that info. or you can send me an email and I'll get a copy of my email from Ken Preston over to you so you can get to that website. My current email addy is: Remboy1352008@gmail.com
I'm using a library computer so it might take me a few days to get back to you.

Date: July 30, 2010 06:07PM

Vince; You have Mail!

Date: July 30, 2010 06:07PM

Vince; You have Mail!

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.br1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 09:09PM

I have been interested in glow in the dark material as well. I had an earlier thread about it.. Did not get all the above info so this is a really good thread. As far as recharging.....I have heard that some people carry a flash camera with them. Taike one photo on flash and it's recharged for awhile.

I hadn't found what I was looking for. So I was toying with a the idea of a hollow glass blank with a fiber optic strand in it. Light travels the length of the fiber.....

I didn't know about the led ones.

Good stuff. IMHO

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 31, 2010 08:06AM

Not quite what you had in mind but this does work......

FuFu's Glow in the Dark Thread
FuFu's Glow in the Dark Embroidery Thread has been the most popular glowing thread we have ever offered. It absorbs the light around it and offers up to 15 hours of glow time. It runs extremely well and can be used for such applications as patches of Fire Department Logos, space age logos, fun children's wear or any other creative application you can imagine.
Polyester filament, 1100 yards per cone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster