I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sigle or double footed guides
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 03:55PM

I am going to build a rod on the MB941 MHX. Is it better to use single or double footed guides or does it matter? One is going to be lighter but the other might be more secure, maybe. This is a spinning rod, but I also plan to build more of these rods that are going to be casting rods.

Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sigle or double footed guides
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 28, 2010 04:06PM

Fuji SF Guides will hold up to anything the blank will. Use what best suits your application and personal preferences.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 04:16PM

Single foot with the Forhan locking wrap.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 07:28PM

Depends on your preference. For casting rod configuration, if it was spiral wrapped, personally i would use double foot then use single foot to the tip.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 08:02PM

It depends on the guide style, sometimes a locking wrap is pretty useless. I use 6 DF, 5 & 4 SF's to the tip spiral wrapped for pulling in some pretty heavy inshore stuff on that blank with no problems. DF's may provide a little more physical security if they get banged on pretty good, the blank would probably fail first though as Jim said.

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.sub-69-96-70.myvzw.com)
Date: July 29, 2010 03:40PM

Can you give me an example of when the locking wrap is useless? For the 941 I think double foot guides all the way to the tip would be too heavy and greatly dampen the action of the blank. On the action you're talkng about I would go all single foot to the tip. Also, my preference would be to go 3-4mm on the running guides to the tip. If you put 2 coats of any 2 part finish on the wraps correctly, you should try to remove them after a week or more. It's a job to cut them off.

Opinions are like various body parts, everyone has one!

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 10:36PM

Absolutely. There are some single-foot guide styles out there where a locking wrap will not actually lock on to anything. With these types of frames, it really doesn't take much more effort to pull a guide out wether it has a locking wrap or not. That's in my experience anyway. There are others that have done extensive testing that I'm sure would agree. I'm a firm beleiver in the Forhan locking wrap, but there are situations where it won't provide any real benefit.

Date: July 30, 2010 12:44AM

The whole idea is to use the lightest guides at least on the upper half of the rod . the less weight the better performance.

The best performance you get from any blank is with no guides on it. But you need them to control your line.

Using double foot guides just adds weight, an extra foot extra thread extra finish - extra metal- extra weight . Hinders performance

Your rod do what you want

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2010 12:58AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 01:26PM

Durability is definitely a consideration, especially if the user is less than careful with his gear. A lot also depends on travel and storage requirements. A few years ago, I built my dad a light FW spinning rod, with single foot spinning guides for butt (sz 20) and transitions (sz12 and 8), SF 4 flys for runners. He stores it in the gunwhales of a 1970 tri-hull 17 footer, along with an oar, other rods, some towels and a flashlight, and he is "always in a hurry" so the rod takes some punishment. The butt guide is loose and bent. I should have made that one (and possibly the transition guides) double foot. The small runners, on the other hand, offer little profile to hang-up on anything, and have survived unscathed.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: July 30, 2010 01:31PM

...however, the butt guide, though loose and bent, is still attached and the rod is serviceable, thanks to the use of a Forhan locking wrap

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: July 30, 2010 02:42PM

What about some kind of tube he can slide the rods in and this way other things in that area would not hit the rods.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 30, 2010 02:59PM

great idea, Bill!
thx.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster