I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Warranty Changes
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 28, 2010 03:48PM

Most builders who sell rods hear at some point "What's your warranty?" Always helps to keep an eye on the competition.

G Loomis Inc, who lots of folks feel has the best warranty out there... is changing it 8/1/2010. I think this is most of the changes (per my understanding). Glad to see it.

Xpeditor Service (which is not a warranty but folks seem to think it is)
- Moving from $50 to $100 charge
- is only good for "inline production rods. Excludes discounted models, all blanks..."
- is now a one time per rod offer only applicable to the original purchase item

Rods not covered by the Xpeditor program will be subject to the standing limited warranty

New NRX Rods will have a "Wild Card". Basically once you buy the rod, you send in a registration and copy of receipt. Shimano sends you a "wild card". If the NRX ever breaks, you take in the broken rod and card to an authorized NRX retailer and they exchange for a new one. Only good one time. Only redeemable on retail and cannot be sent in to Loomis. Cannot be substituted for a different model.

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Warranty Changes
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 03:58PM

For what they charge for a rod and blanks ???

But then again people break a rod just to send it in a get a new one -- Go Figure

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 04:59PM

Now they have identified the warranty replacement of broken rods as a profit center!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 05:04PM

Garry Loomis no longer owns Gloomis. He sold the company to Shimano. They are no longer making blanks for the custom builder. Garry has just opened a new blank company called North Fork Composites. The blank looks good clean and straight. Have not herd about any defects as of yet

Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 28, 2010 05:08PM

Before Shimano stopped making blanks for the custom builder. There were lots of complaint about breakage and crooked blanks. It sounds like this is one way to get ride of all their old stuff. Think about it

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 07:59PM

Bob, I don't follow you as to how this is a way to get rid of old stuff? If I'm reading it right it "excludes blanks and discontinued items." Sounds more like them just tightening up on their warranty program and fully eliminating any such thing as :lifetime warranty."

It will be interesting to see if other major rod manufacturers follow suit.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2010 08:55PM

They're not doing anything unethical nor underhanded. Their warranty terms are completely spelled out prior to anyone buying the product. They still offer a lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. Nothing is hidden. Everything is on the table to view before purchasing.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 09:54PM

correct - to save space I only listed what had changed so things like Tom mentioned were left out.

-----------------
AD

Date: July 28, 2010 10:01PM

I did not state that anything was unethical nor underhanded. What I stated was they no long make blanks for custom rod builders. So when those blanks are gone they give you an up dated blank one time only if yours fails . Is that what I am hearing. They did not state how long this program is good for. Think about this! A few of the builders here state they build rods a head of time hoping a customer likes their work and will by it. What if that rod is on the shelf for a year, is it still covered under the blanks original company warranty

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2010 10:03PM

Bob,

I wasn't really responding to you, just pointing out that the warranty information is plain for all prospective customers to see. No problem.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 28, 2010 10:16PM

I think that they are ONLY warrantying their production rods since they don't sell blanks

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 28, 2010 10:31PM

Blanks are not replaced, period. They haven't been since 9/1/09. IF you return a defective blank, you get your choice of the following: 1) 50% off the same rod in a production model or; 2) a credit for the former retail price of the blank to be used toward any G Loomis product.

I have used the service and it IS exactly as promised. Not what I had in mind when purchasing and selling the blanks, but MUCH better than nothing. IMO, they are still a good company. They are simply doing what is in their best long term interests. Unfortunately, too many folks quit buying their blanks and when that happened - custom blanks just weren't a high enough percentage of sales to stay as part of the overall production picture.

In respect to their Xpeditor program changes AND the new warranty terms for NRX models ... it actually sounds incredibly fair. Anglers that can't handle those terms can always buy somewhere else.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 12:15AM

Where its going to be interesting is the person who buys a finished rod and then the rod is discontinued and no longer covered by the Xpeditor...

-----------------
AD

Date: July 29, 2010 10:04AM

I trust my work so I guarantee it. Blanks are how the manufacturer states in there warranty.

All user abuse is not covered. But I try to work with the customer.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 29, 2010 10:40AM

Any creditable Rod builder warranties their workmanship for a X amount of time. The manufactures warranty should cover components against component failure do to workmanship not abuse.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 29, 2010 10:44AM

Plus I gave a written signed contract that covered my side of warranties and what the companies component parts were covered. Mine I called a 30-30. Thirty seconds or 30 feet what ever came first. LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2010 11:15AM

Dang Bob you're pretty tight!

I usually give them a 3M contract
3 minutes or 3 miles which ever comes first

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 03:32PM

Steve Im thinking of a "FISH OUT" warranty. You fish it, it's out!

Date: July 29, 2010 10:47PM

Steve it use to be a 60 - 60. Butt with the economy like it is I had to change with the times

Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 30, 2010 01:02AM

A door shout is a good warranty - when you walk out the door and it is shout - warranty ends Doooo

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster