I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

5 min epoxy for grips
Posted by: Mike Emerick (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: July 25, 2010 08:48AM

can I use the gorilla glue 5 min epoxy for grips

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5 min epoxy for grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2010 09:12AM

You can, but the danger with the quick setting epoxies when using them on grips is that they can set while you're still getting the grip in place.

Do yourself a favor and use a bit longer set time product, just to give yourself some leeway in the time required to get everything the way you want it.

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2010 10:28AM

Flexcoat rod glue works good. Its a fluid. It helps as both lubricant and bonding agent, and allows for easy cleanup. It sets in a bout 20 minutes.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 25, 2010 02:32PM

Using something that sets up that quickly, leaves little margin for correcting any errors or problems. There are a number of epoxies made specifically for the purpose both liquid and paste. I personally prefer Rod Bond in either the quick set (10 - 15 Min) or regular (overnight) as they are pastes and it eliminates any problem with it flowing where it should not be.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2010 10:27AM

I ruined a grip and reel seat using 5 minute epoxy. I though I was gluing the recessed hood into the grip and I was actually gluing in the rear hood. I figured it out after about 6 minutes. If I had been using 30 minute, I could have corrected it easily.

So, yes you can use it, just don't make any mistakes.

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.sub-75-234-2.myvzw.com)
Date: July 26, 2010 12:47PM

Mike -

I know this sounds a little ridiculous, BUT, 5 minutes goes by very fast. I make sure I have everything sitting in front of me. I have all the pieces sized exactly. I mix the epoxy as quickly as I can and I barely have time to make adjustments. I feel like I'm throwing it together, a complete crap shoot.
I haven't made a mistake yet, but I'm positive it's just a matter of time. I would highly recommend the 20 minutes epoxy from Flexcoat or U-40. I've used both paste and liquid. That part is completely up to you. I will not buy the 5 minute stuff again.

By the way, on another forum I found several guys remarking about using Titebond III. It's good stuff, waterproof. I've used it to glue grips to the blank and it's worked fine. I have gone back to the 2 part epoxies. I believe they are better suited for rodbuilding. This is only my opinion, and you know the old saying about everyone that has an opinion!

Good Luck, and work fast!

Todd

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 12:57PM

Another good thing is to mark every thing to make sure you don't wast time getting things aligned.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: July 26, 2010 02:02PM

Mike, you can also try our Ultimate Gel 15min, it is excellent for just this type of project. It has excellent working time and sets up quickly. It is a true 15min epoxy. Thanks for your time.
Scott Parsons

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Mike Emerick (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 08:09AM

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up using rod bond. My only concern was it was 4 years old and I used it for a winding check. I striped that wrap off and the rod bond came off the blank easily. This came after my dissapointment with my old TM epoxy that cured with an amber tint so I was a little scared using old product. OH well it gives me a excuse to change epoxies. Bye bye TM hello D2

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 10:46AM

Epoxy glues are not made to be clear as are thread finishes.
It may have come off easy cause the area was not prepped for adhesion.

Or it may have had to heated to bring it back.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2010 11:01AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.northstate.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 05:20PM

You can use it of course IF you take the time to carefully prefit parts and do a run through before mixing up and applying the 5 min. stuff. Test fit and have everything laid out so that once you begin nothing goes wrong. I have put on a lot of grips and reel seats with 5 min. epoxy but only AFTER do a trial run and making sure everything is in the proper order so there will be no delays once I start gluing things up.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 08:03AM

Some - not all - 5min epoxies lack the strength of longer curing epoxies.
I have been using West System epoxy for 30 yrs on other type of projects. So I went with that and am very pleased. They have various set-up times depending on which you buy. I use the fast curing and it can be handled without tack in about 3hrs at 72 degrees. Most of their hardeners turn amber in the can after time. That has never been a prob re glue lines because the product is not viscous. But they recently came out with a crystal clear hardener that retains its clarity - "Special Hardener - Clear"
All of their products bond extremely well If you need a more viscous epoxy they have various thickening agents (powders) that you can mix in and get to the consistency you wish. I buy mine at West Marine (not connected to West System Epoxy).
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster