I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glitter in epoxy finish?
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2010 11:39AM

Has anyone ever used glitter mixed with epoxy? I'm thinking of doing it on my wife's rod which is an American Flag themed rod. If so how did it turn out?

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glitter in epoxy finish?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 24, 2010 11:54AM

That is use quite often. Use the finest glitter possible (almost like powder) Looks veru nice. Do asearch on this site for Glitter and select ALL DATES

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: July 24, 2010 12:34PM

A little glitter goes a long way! Defining 'a little' is hard... but I have found if I take what looks like a little and then divide that amount by half, it turns out right. Make a trial batch and see. Too much glitter is not a good outcome!

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 24, 2010 01:27PM

I agree a little goes a long way. I find that adding glitter 1/2 way thew a mix works good breaking micro bubbles. Glitter will settle to the bottom of a mix after a short time. I go to Michale's Craft for extra fine glitter

Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 24, 2010 01:39PM

Thanks for the reply's. I did get the extra fine glitter. I'm trying it on a broken blank right now with just a touch of blue/silver glitter. So far it looks o.k. Thanks again.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 24, 2010 05:34PM

Dave I would put a thin coat of finish on first Then let it set till its tacky. Then put a second coat of finish on with glitter. This will make the glitter look suspend between the finishes

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 24, 2010 05:38PM

Good idea, Bob! Thanks

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 24, 2010 06:19PM

Maybe try a coat of finish and Sprinkle on the glitter. Then when dry a soft brush to take off excess, and another coat.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 24, 2010 07:05PM

The test run came out nice. I just mixed extra fine silver/blue glitter (about as much as what will stick on your fingertip) to the epoxy. I had no bubbles and it's very smooth. It appears suspended with no glitter pieces sticking up. This was with Flex Coat high build. I'll post a pic when I finish the wife's rod. Thanks for all the help.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 24, 2010 10:27PM

Glitter is better mixed with the epoxy than sprinkled on.
Sulky makes a sampler of different colors. It's available at most Michael's craft stores. Their glitter is very fine...micro-glitter.

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2010 01:04AM

Also see Riley rods in the sponsor list for some very nice and unique glitters and color changing powders. Very nice people to work with and they will send out your order pronto. Kudos to Riley Rod and no excuses charters.

Date: July 25, 2010 03:38AM

Like Gary I find that Michael's glitter is the best around. Just make sure you get the Micro glitter. The other glitters are large and look bad

Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 25, 2010 02:34PM

Well, I totally screwed up. I either didn't put enough CP on the wrap or the CP was bad. (It smelled horrible). I used the bad smelling stuff because it seemed to go on smooth. Anyway, when I put the epoxy on it made my thread basically see-through. I'm gonna redo it with a darker blue this time. So, there's what not to do. Wrap and learn, right?

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-8-229.myvzw.com)
Date: July 26, 2010 02:35AM

I have played a little with some Pearl made for automotive finish as well. It is extremely fine and mixes well. My favorite is crystal silver Pearl from dupont. Over black thread in the sun it changes from black to a metallic blue purple look. I dig it some may not

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 08:00AM

There are many glitter on the market. Flexcoat has several different colors and it is "fine grained". When you mix the epoxy, mix it for two minutes before adding the glitter. Add the glitter and continue mixing for about 30 seconds. If you add the glitter first it will affect the cure of the finish.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2010 02:49AM

David,

What I have used over the years is automotive glitter. It is so fine it almost seems like a liquid. It's not cheap, I have silver and all I do is put a tooth pick in the glitter and it is plenty. Find a custom paint shop and ask them where they get theres and go from there. I bought a 6 oz container for 35.00 about 20 years ago and still have about 80% of it left. You may want to experiment with it once you get it and determine the amount you need per batch of epoxy.

Tight lines,

JH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster