I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MB941-MHX and Stradic 4000FI
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 22, 2010 11:29AM

Is the Mud Hole MB941-MHX (cut down to 7'6") too much rod for a Stradic 4000FI? Other thoughts?

Thanks, Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MB941-MHX and Stradic 4000FI
Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2010 01:13PM

Neither is too much for the other. One thing to keep in mind, just make sure when you are planning the build, to have the reel so all can be a balnced outfit when completed.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: July 22, 2010 02:58PM

Bob, without the accent, it is hard to recognize you from the written word. Just joking. The 4000 touts mono line ratings of 8-12; whereas the rod is rated from 10-17. This suggests to me that a 5000 or 6000 might be more appropriate, so I just thought I would attempt to dip into other peopl's experiences. Clinton

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2010 03:03PM

There are several blanks you will not have to cut I With the line rating of that reel.

I would think of the Lure Weight you want to throw . better to look at that then line rating since they are usually under rated.

And how you are going to use it. Pitching etc.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 03:06PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2010 04:03PM

Clinton,
from my experience with both that reel and blank the 4000 is borderline with being too big. Don't even consider the 5000+

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 04:04PM by Todd Vivian.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2010 04:07PM

There ya go Call and talk to Todd he will set you up.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 22, 2010 05:19PM

Ditto on that. I would go with the Stradic 3000. And don't worry about the reel's line rating. The 3000 (or the 2500) will work fine.

Date: July 22, 2010 05:35PM

Clinton -- Does your customer that you are going to build the rod for, already have a Stadic 4000? If he does not have the reel already and is considering purchasing a reel for the rod you may be building, then ask the customer to consider the smaller Sradic reel as sugeested by Todd and Gary.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 22, 2010 05:36PM

Todd Vivian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clinton,
> from my experience with both that reel and blank
> the 4000 is borderline with being too big. Don't
> even consider the 5000+
>
>
> Todd

Definitely correct. The 4000 is a lot of reel and the larger sizes (5000+) start to be REALLY cumbersome.

I do have "another thought" ... What is the intended purpose? Why are you cutting the blank and slowing it down? Mono or braid? If it is the latter, I am positive that the 3000 would be more than enough reel for the rod.

Jim -

Date: July 22, 2010 08:41PM

1 oz, fishing for snook and reds.

Clinton

Date: July 22, 2010 08:50PM

Clinton Terry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1 oz, fishing for snook and reds.
>
> Clinton

Clinton -

What are you throwing that is one ounce?? There is a huge difference between crankbaits, topwaters, live bait and bucktails. In addition ... mono or braid??

Date: July 22, 2010 08:50PM

I am working with the customer on this one. She picked the reel, and I the rod; but I was having second thoughts on the rod. She does want a versatile rod so that she can do snook and reds and on occasion bass. I am sure she would come down to the 3000...but what about a slightly heavier rod? Maybe the P904-MHX. I am open to other suggestions. She did specify a 7'6" in rod.

Clinton

Date: July 22, 2010 08:58PM

Honestly, you still aren't providing enough information for me to get you truly dialed in. However, I will say that the CB905 is more the direction that I would head for a "versatile" rod in a 7'6" length. Definitely back off to a Shimano 3000 or Daiwa 2500 (same approximate size). The 4000 will seem like a boat anchor on the back end of that blank.

FYI, a heavier rod would be OK ... but not much fun and definitely not necessary. Stay with the lighter setup and pair down the reel, line and leader to accommodate. Their fishing pleasure will be much greater with the lighter combo AND they won't need carpal tunnel surgery as early in life.

Date: July 22, 2010 09:33PM

HI Jim and thanks for the comment. I am not holding any information back, so please let me know what you need to know here so you can dial in. The customer wants a 7'6" rod with a Stradic reel using 1oz lures fishing for snook and reds and bass on occasion. There are some other specifics, but this has to do with thread colors. She initially was thinking about the 4000 Stradic.

Clinton

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 22, 2010 10:19PM

Here's another thought: Contact Lance at Swampland and ask him about the Castaway SWA P-905. This is actually a 4 power rod that is rated for 1/2-1 oz, 12-20 lb line, and is balanced beautifully by the Stradic 3000. It does a bang-up job on snook, trout and reds, and it can "walk the dog" with the best of them. There isn't a redfish alive that this combo won't handle, but it's plenty sensitive for trout and bass as well as snook. And I had no trouble handling tarpon with this rod as well. It's my go-to blank, and currently my favorite rod for fishing the flats.
Lance may still have a few- I have bought a BUNCH in recent weeks.

Date: July 23, 2010 01:32PM

The "1" at the end of the model number - MB941 is very mis-leading. We are considering changing that model number to end in a 3 instead of the 1, because it does create confusion. If you check out the specs of the blank, you can see the blank is rated to be much more rod that the model number indicates. It has just the right tip flex to fish various lures for the species of fish you mention and a very powerful, magnum butt to fight and land the fish being targeted.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 24, 2010 10:18AM

If it's like some of the other MHX blanks and patterned after the Loomis rod of the same length, than it will handle the fish you discribe and a bunch of others north,south, east and west where it's was designed to catch salmon and steelhead. I wouldn't throw away the 4000 reel either for situations where mono 12 lbs + are used. Extremely versatile blank that built up a bunch of ways in the loomis catalog for a large variety of fish and lure/presentation types.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster