I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Micro guides- leader knot solution
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2010 08:58AM

For those interested.
I read this statement on another board as the person’s solution to using leaders and micro guides.

“On all my braid / floro setups I tie a double blood knot and coat the knotted section with “Knot Sense”, it’s an epoxy that leaves the knot slick and secure.”

I've done a little research and the cure time is about 10 seconds

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro guides- leader knot solution
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 22, 2010 09:07AM

The thing that works for me is something Bill Stevens told me about. You need to use long enough of a leader so the knot will end up on the reel spool. That is for a casting reel where you are using all micro guides. The knot will pass through the guides. If the knot is located somewhere along the length of the rod, the knot tends to hang up on the guides. It needs enough distance to get the line moving before the knot hits the first guide.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2010 09:31AM

Years ago I started using "Knot Sense" by the Loon Co. on all my fly line connections, which consists of fly line to braided backing, leader to fly line and step down knot in leader to tippett. It is a great product for securing knots, as welll as providing a slick, protective coating over the knot connection.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 10:51AM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 22, 2010 10:46AM

More from the world of the Micro Brains!

OK guys let cut em no slack!

Here Kome de Marketers!

Get some of it all - slobber em up - use Steve and Bob's de Looney Stuff for the knot -

Then use the Elites Ultimate Secret for the line -

The Professors' "Braid Aid" Fourth One Down on the List

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Join the Secret Society of the Long Throw!

Hint: Never Never Take Any Of This Stuff Inside Your Rod Shop!

Other use: SILICONE EPOXY FINISH FISHEYE CREATOR (Only for use in your competitors rodbuilding shop)

One day sale of other products listed on same page: Jerky, Hot Sauce, Sunglasses, Torch!

Order all four and you will get one free!

Bob your turn!

Date: July 22, 2010 12:49PM

Bill
You are a genius, or maybe I just stupid
Had a problem few weeks back with some fish eyes, more then I had ever seen at one time, new it was from contamination but not the source.

Sitting here in the rod assemble/finish room reading your post, looking at the Braid Aid and micro guides sitting on the desk.

Used it a few weeks back about same time as the problem to treat some new braid spooling on a few reels.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2010 02:05PM

I'll take the jerky and hot sauce. Don't really need any more sunglasses. On second thought, I may need another alcohol torch. That last batch of special "liquid" we made, before I left Tennessee and used in my torch, blew the darn thing up!!

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: July 22, 2010 02:33PM

Bob you will find no need for the Torch - what is in the icebox in the barn at the Duck (Peach Preferred) is a perfect substitute! It not onlly "lites up" but the blast off need to be seen while the harmonica is in use!

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 22, 2010 05:36PM

I'm sitting on an invitation from Clem to try some of that torch fuel...Bil, squeeze some more out (and leave the corn behind).

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: July 22, 2010 09:28PM

do you guys use PR knot (with PR bobbin) or FG / Midknots ? the PR, FG or midknots have apretty low "knot profile".. overall knot is not much thicker than the leader diameter. it's a pain to tie it though

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Ben Claxton (---.sip.tys.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 23, 2010 08:39AM

I just built a baitcaster that I spiraled and used 3.5 micros. I test casted this morning with 30lb braid and 20lb mono leader tied together with a tony pena knot. The leader was quite short, about 12" . The knot passes fine and it casts great!

Posted by: Eric Brown (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2010 05:00PM

Give the "Slim Beauty" knot a try.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 23, 2010 06:23PM

IF YOUR KNOT DOES NOT PASS THOUGH YOUR GUDES GUIDES ----- GO A LARGER SIZE SIZE GUIDE Is that so hard Doooo

How small can you go before you are TOOO SMALL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 23, 2010 08:20PM

Bill;

“IF YOUR KNOT DOES NOT PASS THOUGH YOUR GUDES GUIDES ----- GO A LARGER SIZE SIZE GUIDE Is that so hard Doooo “

Answer;
NO!!
UNLESS YOU WANT THE PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS WITH THE SMALLER GUIDES AND CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO. OR IN THIS CASE HAVE YOUR KNOT AND CAST it TOO!

“How small can you go before you are TOOO SMALL”

Answer;
DON'T KNOW, haven’t got there yet!
So far smallest I’ve been able to get my hands on Are 1.5mm’s.
But I’ll let you know when I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 08:54PM by Steve Gardner.

Date: July 23, 2010 10:17PM

Some need to worry if the head will pass the noose they continually tie!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.242.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2010 11:50PM

Just exactly what ARE the benefits of micro guides? I've heard a lot of vague talk about "improved performance" but no specifics. The "feel" of a rod is entirely subjective: any claim that micros enhance a rod's "feel" or sensitivity must be taken on faith rather than proof.

If micros truly do increase casting distance how about some actual objective data, such as percentages, or feet, or inches?
I for one would not trade five feet of increased casting distance for leader knot hassles, and I have found it much to my benefit not to accept unsubstantiated claims by politicians or salesmen, and probably rod builders too.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-46-184.myvzw.com)
Date: July 24, 2010 06:05AM

Pick up 2 of the same rods. 1 built with"normal" guides. And 1 with "micro" guides. You will quickly see there is no faith involved. They simply are lighter and yes more sensitive

Date: July 24, 2010 06:11AM

Phil;
I would sart reading here;
RodMaker Volume 10 Issue #4, Volume 11 Issue #1 Volume 11 issue#5

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[rodbuilding.org]

[rodbuilding.org]

[rodbuilding.org]

[rodbuilding.org]

There are also 2 more M&M threads, But did not take time to look locate them.

After reading if you have another question please post it.

Date: July 24, 2010 09:57AM

Phil:

"Behold These Truths Shall Become Self Evident"

Build one correctly and you shall become an advocate.

Words do not SELL the micro rods - put one in the hands of a fisherman - they sell themselves.

Over and Over and Over!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.242.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2010 10:58AM

I waded through 5 pages of comments about micros. The only objective data I found was the weight of individual micro guides - the rest was subjective "touchy feely" reporting. Comparative data on casting distance is conspicuously missing.
I bought a Cabella's 9' Fish Eagle steelhead spin rod five or six years ago. It has micro guides. I can't "feel" an appreciable difference in its performance, but I suspect the blank has more to do with this than the guides. Of all fishermen, fly casters are probably most sensitive to differences in the mass of a rod. I doubt the weight savings from a micro guide set (vs. standard snakes) is more than a foot or two of aerialized running line. For me this tiny difference does not compensate for the increased chance of broken tippets due to leader knots hanging up in the guides.
If you are happy with the feel of micro guides that's fine, but if you claim micros micros enhance performance, then reasonable folks require objective data. Have micro equipped rods recently dominated flycasting, baitcasting, or spincasting distance contests? Where, when, and by how much distance? [Several examples of the superiority of micros in distance would be superior to one.]

Date: July 24, 2010 12:12PM

Phil your "micro guide" position concerning knot passage and casting distance exhibits a lack of knowledge of what IS occurring in the segments of rodbuilding, both custom and production, that deals with the inshore and bass segments of the market.

The present micro market is very large and continues to grow each day. The market growth is supported by many testimonials from professional, successful tournament anglers.

Has it ever entered you mind that some rodbuilders never use snake guides, things called tippets nor do their customers required guide systems that pass knots? Over 60 percent of the micro rods I sold in the past month will never be required to pitched/flipped over 40 feet. If you had ever made 1,000 flips with a heavy flip stick in a day you would have a better understanding of what the real benefits of weight reduction by use of the micro guides provided. (Please lets not argue about the number of casts!)

Simply put:

"Differenct Strokes for Different Folks"

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster