I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: EVA Grips on Higher End Rods
Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: July 21, 2010 07:57PM

I have several high end Japanese rods ($1,000 plus) and they all have super hard EVA grips. I think they are superior to cork. That is my own preference though and I am talking Saltwater rods not fly rods or delicate freshwater rods. Definitely cork for those...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 21, 2010 08:56PM

My rods get a variety of grip materials, none are "low end". It just so happens that the very rod on my bench currently, has an EVA grip. It also has an acrylic insert on a Fuij skeleton paired with a blank painted to match. IMO, the black grips do MUCH more justice to the insert, the reel and the red blank. Although I haven't wrapped it yet, the guides are Alconite with Chrome frames, wrapped with nylon red with no CP- again staying with the silver/black/red theme.

There is a time and place for almost everything ... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Jim -

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: July 21, 2010 09:41PM

Swampland Tackle Lance Dupre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use EVA on lots of my high end rods. As Mike
> stated lots of Japanese manufacturers use EVA on
> their rods and they sell for anywhere from 400.00
> up to 900.00 per rod. EVA DOES NOT make them look
> CHEAP. If you ask me they have a classier look,
> especially when aluminum trim rings are added. As
> a matter of fact I'm having some new EVA grips
> made that'll have the look of the high end
> Japanese JDM style rods.

On the website soon I hope???

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2010 10:23PM

There is a need for lots of grip material, wood, cork, EVA, graphite...the list goes on.

Alot comes down to personal preferance of the individual buying the custom rod. That is why it is called Custom.

Me I split the field, my casting rods have EVA, my spinning rods have cork, my fly rods have wood handles. Why? Cause that is the way I wanted it.

As said earlier, Billy V. makes some very cool extremely custom EVA grips. He pushes the boundry of custom EVA grips to the limit.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2010 11:53PM

As much as I like using and playing with EVA grips, ther are several applications where I prefer cork for my own personal rods. I think EVA OR Cork just glud up with square edges and unsanded and dosnt' butt up to the components perfectly is cheap - price is negligibl, you can use $100 worth of cork imprperly and make the rod look cheap, and even worse feel cheap. SAme holds true for EVA, properly sanding/shaping it will allow the rod to look classy, like a true custom rod should look. The only thing that determines what metrial is used on the rod is the person using the rod. ultimately they are the ones who decide what is right.

PS - thanks to you guys for shouting me out on the Dec Grips, I apprecaite it.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 22, 2010 08:54AM

i use EVA on most of my rods. i like the way it grips, how much it costs and how easy it is to shape/work with. When a customer asks me - i usually recommend a good quality EVA over cork for those reasons. Its usually an easy sell when i can them 20$ on the just the grips. i'm very pleased with how they turn out.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 22, 2010 08:00PM

I, like Justin , use EVA on almost all of the Bass Rods I build. I use the hard EVA split grips with the Silver trim rings from Swampland Tackle. The tournament fishermen I build for wouldn't have anything else, they love them. When building a Spinning Rod I will use the regular EVA or cork , depends on what the person wants. If you haven't tried the hard EVA split grips from Swampland Tackle, you are missing out big time , in my opinion.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2010 10:32AM

EVA is perhaps the best all purpose grip material. You would be hard pressed to find any faults. I personally like medium density, I dont like the hard stuff.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster