I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Micros
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 20, 2010 10:54AM

Anyone heard if Pac Bay plans to release their micros that are on production rods for custom builders?

They are featured on the new Carrot Stix.

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Micros
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2010 11:58AM

Yes, I heard from Vic Cutter yesterday and he said they'll be in the pipeline shortly. Down to size 3 now and available in black with chrome ring. He said they had redesigned the length and shape of the guide foot as well.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 20, 2010 12:35PM

Will they be more like the thin minima rings or thicker ceramic rings?

-----------------
AD

Date: July 20, 2010 12:54PM

I have no idea - I haven't seen them. But they will not have ceramic rings in them as far as I know.

Pacific Bay may also have small ceramic guides, but I really have no idea about that.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 20, 2010 02:55PM

Much is in play at present concerning the proper selection of micro guides. ICAST releases are confusing to some who casually read the "press releases" and assume many things that are not specifically stated. If you carefully read the press releases which announce the availability of Pac Bay micro and semi micro guides you will realize the "price point" of the rod in question determines which type of guide was selected.

The micro guide is STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS! It has moved a long way in the last year and will continue to improve. The statement of supply will match demand is working!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2010 02:58PM

Alex,
Good questions.
I hope that the guide manufacturers would make micros with a longer guide foot.
There is really no good reason to have the guide feet as short as some of the guides use.

Roger

Date: July 20, 2010 03:11PM

My information did not come from a press release.

Longer guide feet can damage a rod blank. There is an area of compromise regarding foot length that has to be contended with.

I have no idea what a "semi-micro" guide is. No one has ever defined what a micro guide is, yet. They surely have not defined the term "semi-micro."

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 20, 2010 03:24PM

Roger ,the feet of micro's from each manufacturer are all different lengths. Batson's are the shortest' fuji's are a little longer and American Tackle's are the longest. Anything longer than Am Tac's are not necessary.

Don't know if you've ever built micro guide rods but do yourself a favor and try out each company's guide I'm sure that you'll find one to your liking.

Lance

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2010 03:32PM

Semi-micro-
Big guide attached to little guide?
Little guide with big feet?
Big guide with little feet?
Not quite a 5mm but bigger then a 4mm?
Knew marketing term that we can turn into profits?

I'll take the short feet anyday!
I see no need for longer wraps that just add dead weight, to cover longer the feet that add dead weight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2010 03:33PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 20, 2010 06:35PM

Steve if you think your post was funny take a look at the marketing text taken from ONE of the press releases for ONE production rod company at ICAST -

This review was written by one of the Tackle Tour Staff writersl

One rod company three or four different micro set ups - price point differences - all defined as micro or semi micro

GOTTA LOVE IT!

With five casting and three spinning models in the series, xxx introduces a value line of micro-guided rods. These sticks feature a traditional, exposed blank reel seat, foam grips, and Pac Bay semi micro-guides with Zirconium inserts and will retail for $99

Professional Grade: Featuring ten casting models and four spinning models, XXX'X next line of micro-guided rods are built on 30 ton graphite blanks with split reel seats, Thermalon split rear grips, and new Pac Bay semi micro-guides featuring deep pressed frames with Zirconium inserts. The PG series of micro guided rods from e21 will retail for $149.

This top end series from xxx will feature a Helical bias blank for increased hoop strength, cork grips, a split reel seat, Fuji K-series micro guides, and a poly-prism holographic finish. Retail price on this series of rods is projected at $199.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (69.162.116.---)
Date: July 20, 2010 06:44PM

And check this one out....

Also being debuted at ICAST is CastAway's Microwave Rod Line. The new micro guide spinning rods will change spinning rods forever using the Patented WaveSpin Microwave Guide System by Doug Hannon.

Another hoot!! Like you say, Gotta love it!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2010 06:48PM

Bill
That is really funny! Got to love press especially the uniformed press

So I guess “Semi micro” means; some guides micro, some guides not on same rod.
Who would have ever thought of that?
I'm amazed!
To bad they five years late.

Posted by: dave schaub (129.230.244.---)
Date: July 21, 2010 09:23AM

Well, at least they did not say New and Improved!!!! (see my earlier post)
Some of these nimrods like to use words that sound technical and really are not. They sometimes are even
made up for advertising. These are some of the same people who wear microphone head sets in TV commercials, except
they are not "plugged in"! Please laugh everytime you read or see such obvious ignorance....I do.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 21, 2010 09:43AM

yeah right - next thing you tell me is that Doug Hannon himself didn't invent the wave spin microwave guide! HA!

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: July 23, 2010 03:49PM

Sorry for the delay fellas,
New micros will be available soon in minima and deep drawn ceramic down to size three plus a new micro top in both minima and deep drawn ceramic. There has been extensive foot and brace refinement that has delayed release but I think you'll find they are both well worth the wait.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2010 04:03PM by Geoff Staples.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster