I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly: Northfork and MHX (mudhole)
Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2010 03:48PM

Has anyone tried either of thes new fly blanks yet? Any opinions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly: Northfork and MHX (mudhole)
Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-153-76.myvzw.com)
Date: July 19, 2010 07:16PM

I am interested in this as well. Looking to put together a 9 ft. 5 wt and was thinking about trying out the MHX 4 piece. Anybody run CCS numbers yet?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 19, 2010 08:07PM

The upper grade HM 6 wt 9 1/2 ft Northfork I tried was very similar to my GLX 6 wt in feel and fishability, though I think it would carry Teeny sink tips a bit better. Angler's Workshop, Bingham Ent. and Mudhole carry them. Angler's is the closest to the factory if they aren't in someone's stock, they're both in the same town. There wasn't a 9 ft 6 wt or 7 wt. in the earlier offering, there may be one now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 08:25PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2010 08:09PM

Where did you find the blank? I can't find any online....

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 19, 2010 08:37PM

Bingham should have the Northfork in stack, call Karen and ask her.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2010 09:04PM

I was fortunate to get an MHX blank for testing. I was very impressed with it. i had a 9wt and i would highly recommend these blanks. i think you will be impressed especially at that price. they will easily compare or beat may that are twice the price
i haven't tried the northfork yet

Posted by: Mike Carter (---.101.38.esconett.org)
Date: July 20, 2010 08:48AM

John,

Are the MHX blanks fast, moderate-fast, ect. ?

Thanks

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: July 20, 2010 11:28AM

Bob from Mudhole told me that they haven't measured CCS numbers yet, but that he expects them to be similar to Z-Axis (i.e. fast action).

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2010 11:40AM

So that there is not any confusion as to which blanks are what - the lower line weights of 2, 3 & 4 with lengths of 6'-6", 7' and 7'-6" are mod-fast., in the 3 and 4 multi-piece blanks. All the other 4 pc. multi-piece blanks are fast. All the 2 piece blanks are fast, with the exception of the 2 and 3 weight blanks are mod-fast.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2010 11:45AM by Bob McKamey.

MHX Reviews
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (66.181.252.---)
Date: July 20, 2010 02:06PM

Here are a few of the reviews I have gotten back from the MHX fly blanks:

Todd

Hi Todd,

You had sent me a MXH fly rod demo blank (4wt, 7'6') back in May and asked me to get back to you once I made and fished the rod. Well I made it, have fished it, and love it! It has great action and a sensitive touch, perfect for delicate presentations. You usually don't associate light weight and smaller rods with great casting, but the casting for distance has been incredible, especially once I added an additional stripping guide. It has become my go to rod for almost all freshwater applications so far this summer. Come fall/winter, I will be looking to build another fly rod, probably 8 wt, 9ft and I will be buying a MXH blank. I really appreciate you letting me try one out ahead of release.

If you have any questions about it, please let me know.

Thanks, Tom

Todd, I took my prototype rod that you sold me on a Landlock Salmon trip in the North Woods of Maine last week. The rod was a hit to say the least. The guys I fish with either build their own bamboo blanks or build with Sage blanks and they loved the rod. Just reminding you that you have a great product. I'm planning to build two more similar setups as mine for guys up there, and an 8wt for myself. Do you have any suggestions for guide placement or sizes on the 8wt. Just curious if you had built and used one yet.

Ian

MHX PROTOTYPE 10 WT 4 PC- Recently i recieved the new prototype fly rod blank from Todd at Mud Hole. So far the reviews are very positive. I have had several local guides cast the rod and each one seems to like it overall.

My Personal thoughts on this blank, are on the favorable side. I love the finish of MHX i am a big fan of the matte finish and MHX is doing a great job at it. The rod can carry a good deal of line in the air, and seems to generate a substantial amount of line speed. The blank itself is extremely light and i kept it simple in wraps and guides using titanium strippers and some of my private stock old school Mildrum stainless snakes. I am using a Cortland Tropic Plus line, and keeping it light with a large arbour aluminum reel, (also a new prototype). I am comparing this blank to some stiff competition, one of my personal favorite rods that i have had for some 12 years now. It is an old Loomis IMX 10 MEGA 4 pc. This rod has hooked more tarpon than most people dream off. The MHX is holding its own with the Loomis, the MHX is however noticeably slower action than the Loomis. However the IMX 10 mega is considered extra fast taper. We all know taper differences only change our timing and style a little.

Personally i like a 10 wt for tarpon in the Upper Keys and Flamingo, so i am patiently awaiting the first warm fronts to put the rod through some real tests.

It seems MHX will hit another home run in design, and of course price. I will know soon of this blanks fish fighting strength, but I think we can expect great things out of MHX in the near future.

If you would like to hear more feel free to contact me at
frank@en-visioncustomrods.com

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster