I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Designing Decals
Posted by: Blair Chilton (120.19.21.---)
Date: July 19, 2010 07:17AM

I have a question about the design of decals. I have created a picture in Paint that I would like to use as a decal on a rod. The problem is that the logo is too low quality to use as it is as the pixels can be seen on the curved edges. I was wondering how I could get the image to a quality that could be used as a decal?

I’m sure there is a simple and obvious solution but I have never designed or printed decals before and I am not overly savvy with computers.

I appreciate any suggestions, thanks heaps in advance for your help

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Designing Decals
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2010 08:12AM

You have two options - start with a higher resolution photo to begin with, or use an image editing program to upsample the dpi. In the latter case, the software will create new pixels based on what is already there. Depending on how much you need to upsample - how many new pixels you need to add, this can work well. However, if the software is having to double or triple the number of pixels, you may find that you don't like the overall result.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 19, 2010 08:58AM

Another option to "clean up" edges of low resolution images.

Use Paint, Corel Paint or Photo Shop

Enlarge the image seen on the screen -

Look at the fuzzy colors around the edge - when you get in the right zone you will notice the little squares seen of the screen will have different colors around the edge.0

Select the Eraser Tool - use the sizing of the tool and shrink it down to a small size -

Drag the Eraser Tool around the edge of the image on the screen in a smooth path -

Save the cleaned up image -

Try agiain to print after it has been cleaned up.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 19, 2010 03:21PM

use photoshop or any good graphics program (hint: paint is not one of them).

When you create a new image - specify the size of the image in inches or mm (whichever you calculated the circumeference of the blank in). The specify the DPI somewhere over 300 - (default is 70ish). I personally use 600 to 800 dpi - which is probably overkill - but with a photo printer, you get amazing clarity.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 19, 2010 06:39PM

The one problem I see with printing your own decals is the ink of jet ink printers...assuming that is what most people have, at least for color. This ink tends to fade over the years. I think the problem is the ink's interaction with the air. I do not know how it would respond if it is sealed under some protective coat of epoxy; but it will be exposed to sunlight, which is probably not a good thing. Anyone have any experience with color fading?

Clinton

Date: July 19, 2010 10:09PM

Clinton think about this for a few minutes:

Take a close look at this logo -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If the paper media was the silver reverse image shown what effect would there be for uv degredation of the media surface which has no ink in place. We do a lot of reverse imaging and minimize the use of lighter colors. The full black is affected very little and we see on fading.

Many of my my full sunlight decals have now been in service for two years or longer - lighter colors have some fading but it has not been significant.

I have not tested trooling rods with full color for over two years -

Date: July 19, 2010 11:32PM

UV is an issue with ink-jet printers. I saw a rod i did for a guy this spring - the black ink has already turned green from being out in the sun 4 days a week in just 2-3 months. Keep in mind our bass season doesn't start until May and tournaments can't start until Memorial day - so there has not been that much exposure yet. I will be voluntarily redoing it for him this winter.
They do make clear UV-blocking sticker paper and Krylon makes a UV guard spray. i've been using the spray lately, however only time will tell if it will protect against fading.

Regards,
-Justin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 11:35PM by justin keithley.

Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 20, 2010 07:46AM

It would be interesting to see if you could get places like Costco, in my area, to print our your images. This would mean giving them the vinyl paper, and they may not be equipped to do that. But for reqular printing purposes, you can send your images online to them and they will print them for mere pennies. But since you want it on your paper you would probably have to go to them in person with your print file and paper in hand. Just a thought. The advange here is that they use better inks.

Clinton

Date: July 21, 2010 10:31AM

Clinton your post sent me on a search - your idea just may lead somewhere that may help.

I am going to locate some of this new stuff and give it a try - thanks

[www.hp.com]

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 21, 2010 12:33PM

I remember asking about long term exposure back when this got popular. Typically ink jet inks do not fair well over time in the sun.

However - you may be experiencing something different...

The darkening (or yellowing) of the rod finish can change the appearance of the decal. I saw a silver metallic decal that now looks gold because of the change in the rod finish.

My point here is - has the ink turned/faded to green or has the rod finish over the black decal yellowed and gives a green appearance? I know using certain epoxies on the black carbon fiber grips - you can end up with a greenish appearance if the epoxies have too much yellowing.

Something to consider.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 12:52PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Date: July 21, 2010 11:13PM

Alex - thanks for the email. Its definitely the ink as i've seen inkjet photo prints fade in the same fashion. I used TM light and its barely 3 months old. My guess is my wife bought cheap knock-off black ink refills. I have been UV spray from krylon on my recent builds. I will also probably try some UV sticker sheets that Papilo sells to cover ink-jet prints and project against sun-fade.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Jimi Ellis (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2010 09:25AM

I have been in the fishing rod decal business since 1994. Email me and I will help you in anyway that you need.

Jimi Ellis
Southern Grafix
www.SouthernGrafix.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster